• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Looking for a campground

Rippinlip

Wife and I are tossing around the idea of buying a camper to put on a permanent campsite.

Couple of things we are looking for is:

Close to or access to ATV trails

Like to stay within 2-2.5 hours of Minneapolis, closer the better.

How can we find out if these campgrounds have annual openings if they are not open yet?

Any recommendations for one?

We really like riding over by Black River Falls, Wi and up by the Moose Lake, Sturgeon Lake area.

But all those campgrounds don't open until May and no contact info to call now.

We're at Log Cabin Hollow on Yellow Lake near Webster, WI. Less than two hours for me from the east metro. The lake has awesome fishing and the Gandy Dancer Trail is just a few miles away. ATV's are very popular in the area with many trails and roads open.

The lake is not very swimmer/water ski friendly as it is very stained and has a pretty good algae bloom, but that's the only drawback. As I said, the fishing is great. Walleye are plentiful, panfish run big, lots of pike and pretty good musky fishing.

I know there are openings. If at all interested, PM me for more info.

You can check out the fishing report here:

http://www.hotspotoutdoors.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/1270987/Yellow_Lake_Fishing_Reports_ne

Most campgrounds will have an "off-season" phone number. Also many of them are owner operated onsite so the same number is good all season.

I have no suggestions, but the sportsmens show is at the end of March and there are lots of places there that are looking to book new people.

We are at WildWoods RV campground on Edwards lake above Brainerd. I have my boat on a lift and just head out fishing in the morning and then jump on the Dualsport bike and ride trails in the after noon. Planty of shopping around the area for the wife when I'm doing my thing! grin

Thanks Guys,

Don,

Is there riding from the campground?

We actually go riding up by there quite a bit, more over in the Chengwatana State Forest, Gandy Dancer and Nemadji.

PS,

Forgot all about that show coming up in March, we will definately be going to that.

Leech,

Thanks for the recommendation, we will check it out. If not for a perm site, definately a weekend get away.

We've tent camped at Sullivan's Resort and Campground on North Long Lake outside of Brainerd. They have lots of seasonal and/or permanent spots for campers if I'm not mistaken. It's a nice spot with a shallow clear lake and good swimming beach. A store, public restrooms with showers and indoor pool for when the weather's bad.

We've tent camped at Sullivan's Resort and Campground on North Long Lake outside of Brainerd. They have lots of seasonal and/or permanent spots for campers if I'm not mistaken. It's a nice spot with a shallow clear lake and good swimming beach. A store, public restrooms with showers and indoor pool for when the weather's bad.
We have stayed at Sullivan's before we ended up at Wildwoods. It is a fun family resort but a little small and packed tight in their camping area. They only have so many seasonal spots and I'm sure you almost have to wait for someone to die before you could get one! frown They do have a nice rec-room with an indoor pool if the weather is cold or raining out as stated. You would still have to trailer your ATV's out of it to get to the trails.

I would second that. The spots looked a little cramped and the seasonal folks are put in the back. That's probably the norm, I would imagine. Sunset Shores on Norway Lake outside of New London is another nice resort with seasonal spots, though only a few, that I can tell, right down the road from us. Not nearly as crowded and a better view of the lake. You'd have to trailer up to ATV spots, though and I'm not sure how many there are in Kandiyohi County. Tons of public land but most are WPAs and state park land where you can't ride I believe.