• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Amount of Food for my Lab?

Cobber

Good morning everyone!

Just trying to figure out a little bit of information about how much to feed my pup.

----

Dog: Female Chocolate Lab

Current Food: Nutro Natural Choice; Adult Lamb Meal & Rice Formula

Daily Food: 4 Cups (2c. morning / 2c. evening)

----

What I'm trying to figure out is if I should go to a once/day feeding schedule, and also if I should be changing her quantity of food at all? She's in decent shape, but is starting to get a little on the porky side, and I want to be sure to stay away from that.

Thanks!

-Cobber

i have a chocolate lab, cooper, that is 2 yrs old and around 55lbs. i feed him about 3-3.5 cups of nutro max a day(split between morning and night). i also give him a couple treats a day. the biggest deal is making sure they are getting some exercise each day. i usually go throw a ball or take a walk with him for at least 10-15 minutes a day. if not, i adjust accourdingly.

for example,i went on a trip last spring for 10 days where we had a friend take care of him. he gained 10lbs! (in only 10 days!) man, he was a little porker and didn't look like the same dog-my wife cried.

after asking how they were taking care of him they said they followed our feeding directions and only gave him a few "treats" a day. they said they didn't get him out much tho because they didn't like his leash (we use a gentle leader with him-i think it was more of an excuse than anything).

anyways, what i was getting at (sorry about my rant). there are few things to consider how much to feed them. i follow the directions on the bag and adjust accourdingly depending on the amount of exercise he is getting. if he is getting bigger, back it down, if he is getting to slim, add some more. i know if he had it his way he would eat a bag a day.

Couple articles out recently showing benefits of feeding once a day. Can't remember where I read them though. Possibly pf magazine. Always have switched our dogs to this at about 6 months. Currently feeding our field trial dog twice daily just to keep her weight up as she gets the runs if the amount is increased. On trial days however, the trainer skips morning feed to get benefits listed in articles.

Every dog is different, Iv'e always fed twice daily except on A.M. training days, trial days, or hunting days. I feed a 30/20 food and the 11 year old gets one cup in the morning one at night. 1 1/2 year old male gets 2 AM 2 PM. 1 year old female was getting 2 1/2 in the AM 2 1/2 in the pm. befor she went south for the winter. I had feed Bodey the sire of these pups 3 1/2 twice daily or he was a rack of ribs,with 7 cups a day you almost have to split it up, so there all different , and yes alot of it depends on the amount of exercise there getting. Another thing is I work 7/3 , my wife works evenings so some one is usually home throughout the day to let the dogs out if we both worked day jobs I would probably do a really light feeding in the AM and a heavier feeding in the evening, because there in the house, if they were kennel dogs it guess it wouldn't matter. Feed and do what best works for you and your dog..