• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

A Good Day

Gordie

What would you consider a good day?":

Would it be numbers of fish. lets say 1 per hour.

Would it be size of fish?

Is it just the peace and tranquility that the spearshack has to offer along with just plain old fasion solitude?

I Guess for me anyday on the water is a Good Day I know thats a old cliché

This year I have let alot of pike pass thru the hole just watching and even learning how they react sometimes. I have speared a few this winter and I have enjoied watching my son experince the thrill of this sport and hear him say.. "I'm Hooked Dad".

Is it the camaraderie that comes with this sport like today I talked with a couple of fellow spear fishermen and we went on and on about the thrill and what it was like the first time spearing and WE all still feel the same way today . I mean its a feeling that’s compared to deer or turkey hunting ,that rush of the pike coming into the hole and at any given moment the biggest pike you ever have seen could come into view .

I hope I never lose this feeling or the rush of that fish that enters the hole for if I do it will be time to close the shack and call it a Good Day No more.

Be Safe out there and keep the tradition alive

Oh and I hope YOU HAVE A GOOD DAY wink No matter how you like it.

Many great days of spearing this season. Seeing the excitement of my son and daughter spearing is awesome, but watching the grandkids is very rewarding, when they discribe how they hit the decoy or just come in and look at the decoy. If you spear when you are young you will always want to have that excitement. When you have several houses on one lake but have to load them up and haul them to another lake, a few miles up the road, because some people can't catch big fish, has its drawbacks. There is only one thing I like doing better than spearing and that is deer hunting. Every fish is a trophy and every deer is a trophy. The grill or frying pan will prove it.

Spearing for me is now about making friends. I love being in the house but if it was just me sitting there (like it used to be) and noone to share stories or the house or a beer with I would give it up.

Don't get me wrong I still like to sit there and wait for the next fish to come along but it takes more then that to keep me interested.

I've made life long friends because of this sport and I really value that.

I haven't made it out hardly at all this year because of this trucking obsession I'm going through. But.. I've been able to keep up on all the good spearing gossip because of this site and the friends I have made from it.

I was extremely fortunate to spend the past two winters on the ice almost every day. Maybe next year my obsession will be to hang out in the spear shack every day again.

p.s. If not be sure to keep that chisel sharp Archery Sniper so you can keep my hole open!!!!!!! grin

maybe i'm crazy but i like to see fish when i go! smile what makes my day is when a nice pike comes slooooowly into the edge of the hole, sits there for a sec, flares his gills and SLAMS my sucker! then if he's still in the hole watch it suck on the minner for a minute til it's gone, stick the hook home & game on. i dont spear anymore, just fish out of a big hole, but that's where it's at for me. comradere adds to the experience but if i just wanna hang out with some guys i'll have ya over for a beer & watch a game!