• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Fish Trap Yukon

hamms-scooter

What are your thoughts on this portable? I am looking at trading up my guide which is a 2007 for a 2007 yukon. Both have the good seats and trap link features. I am looking for a little more room for having the wife and kids with. This trade idea just came up. I am 5'10" will I be able to stand in it? It is in perfect shape like mine so I might just jump on it.

Yukon is the same width as a Guide it just gives you more Head room. I've thought about making that switch with my Guide at times too. It won't give you more side to side room, but it will give you a little more floor (ice) space and head room.

No, you will not be able to stand straight up. Bent over a bit you could.

I have a FT Yukon (actually might even be a 2007) and I've really liked it so far. It's great for a single person, lots of room. It gets a little tight with a second person, but as long as it's your wife or kids it's not bad. Now if you're fishing with your buddy it might be a little close quarters. I've found that there is only really room to have two holes, otherwise they are too close to each other if you have more than that. I'll usually set up tip ups for my second lines if I have my girlfriend fishing with me. I'm also about 5'10" and there is just enough room to stand in it, but literally probably just enough.

I'd definitely make the trade if I were you. A little tougher to load in the truck than the guide but I think you'll be happy overall.

What are your thoughts on this portable? I am looking at trading up my guide which is a 2007 for a 2007 yukon. Both have the good seats and trap link features. I am looking for a little more room for having the wife and kids with. This trade idea just came up. I am 5'10" will I be able to stand in it? It is in perfect shape like mine so I might just jump on it.

I have a Yukon. Once a year I fish with a guy that is 6'2" and over 220 lbs. I am 6'4" and 215 lbs, so we aren't little folk! If we both move the chairs out as far as they will go, we have enough room so that we are not uncomfortable...both physically and mentally (you know how guys are... blush )

We do put 4 holes when we fish. We put one hole each nearer the tub and outside, and the second hole diagonal and in towards the center instead of just going 4 across (not sure if that makes sense...hard to explain).

full-28328-17315-holepattern.jpg

Something like that...

I too have a guide and was looking at the yukon. However I pull it on foot and was wondering how the yukon would be pulling it by foot? Does it pull ok and is it heavier than the guide?

I almost always walk out and pull the Yukon. I can't compare it to the Guide, but I pull mine fully loaded with my auger resting on top of it.

I have had the Yukon for 3 years now and think it works great for two ppl. I use a little different hole configuration then one of the previous posts and things seem to work fine. Dad and I are both roughly 6 ft and 230, and there's plenty of room. After all it is still a portable. You start to get too big and you find yourself dreading to move. Here is how I set up my shack. Two hole between our feet and two near the door and out. I like to keep the middle open as much as possible for getting in and out. Also , usually use a bobber rig or deadstick on the outer holes.

-------------

O...........O

...O.....O

-------------

Sled

Well I decided to get the Yukon. I sold my Guide for 300 bucks and got this Yukon. It has hyfax,cover, tow hitch, 6 led rope lights, trap link, and is in really good shape. Only issue with it is the guy borrowed it to some buddys and they banked the canvas with snow. At the end of the night hours later they were froze down and didn't realize it and tore the skirting about 4 inches... to me this is cosmetic. I like my stuff to be good so might sew it but doesn't effect the house. I like the nice deep tub, a huge improvement from the shallow guide tub. The seats are the same comfy seats but they are higher off the ice now which I was really looking for. I also like that they go left to right as well as front to back. This model is the same as my guide I had so it is a good quality Fish Trap. I looked at some of the newer ones clam had out a couple years ago and wasn't impressed much. This one will do the job! At least till next fall when I get the bug for an insulated otter. If your a guide owner and wondering about switching to yukon. I would highly suggest it. The head room alone is worth it. The ability to move your seats left to right also creates more room. Fish 2 out of this easily... the guide was to tight for me with 2.BTW paid 325 for my upgraded shack with everything listed smile

this makes me laugh, I have an otter wild 1 that I normally fish 2 from. I'm 5'9 215, and one of my regular fishing buddies is bigger than I am. both of those shacks are bigger than mine. all comes down to how portable you want to be. the guide is easier to move around, the yukon gives you more room to fish. For 2 people you can each fish 2 lines easily in either

-------------

O...........O

...O.....O

-------------

I've tried it that way too and it works pretty well. Sometimes if I'm off a little that right front hole ends up right inside the door where I come in. That's the only reason why I moved my front ones in.

When I bring the family i am not looking to be super mobile and in hunt mode. More about hanging out on the ice setup on a good breakline that has produced fish in the past. If I go my self I almost never sit in a house. If its really rough out I will sit in my Fish Trap Scout which is as mobile as it gets. Hole hoping with that thing is no effort. I think the Yukon will be a nice size shack to try. If it's not what I want i'm sure I can make a little money on it. Pretty sure I will like it though. Is 4 inches wider then the guide and can move seats both ways.

Here we are at the start of yet another Steller Ice Season 2018. At the start of this season I'm looking for a Trap-Link Connector for my Yukon and 5600. Hamms-Scooter or Twins 57 Fan if you have one of these Trap-Links Or know someone who does I would Pay Handsome for it...