• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Which breeder?

DaSwede

DaSwede-

Good to her! You will love the dog, I am sure of that! After we got our pup, I went down and visited Rick a couple of times for some training pointers. More than happy to take the time to make sure you have all of your questions answered. Did you go with yellow or black? What is Rick asking for pups these days? Seems the going rate for a British pup is anywhere from $1,000-$1,500. Worth it for the blood lines you're getting with Rick's dogs. Let me know if you have any questions.

I am actually going to start a new thread out about getting my dog started on an an e-collar. I hunt mostly around MN and have never needed to use one with her, as I can control her with verbal commands and a whistle. However, we went out to Mott, ND last fall and had an UNREAL hunt...pheasants everywhere (hundreds on a field at a time!). This was the first time had been on that many birds and I had a really hard time keeping her close enough. So much scent and so much drive to go after birds. So, I am going to ask what people have to say about starting her out at 4 years old on a collar. I realized I need one on her if I am going to out out to Mott again this year...and with the hunt we had, I won't miss it! 40 birds shot in 3 days.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

DaSwede-

Good to her! You will love the dog, I am sure of that! After we got our pup, I went down and visited Rick a couple of times for some training pointers. More than happy to take the time to make sure you have all of your questions answered. Did you go with yellow or black? What is Rick asking for pups these days? Seems the going rate for a British pup is anywhere from $1,000-$1,500. Worth it for the blood lines you're getting with Rick's dogs. Let me know if you have any questions.

I am actually going to start a new thread out about getting my dog started on an an e-collar. I hunt mostly around MN and have never needed to use one with her, as I can control her with verbal commands and a whistle. However, we went out to Mott, ND last fall and had an UNREAL hunt...pheasants everywhere (hundreds on a field at a time!). This was the first time had been on that many birds and I had a really hard time keeping her close enough. So much scent and so much drive to go after birds. So, I am going to ask what people have to say about starting her out at 4 years old on a collar. I realized I need one on her if I am going to out out to Mott again this year...and with the hunt we had, I won't miss it! 40 birds shot in 3 days.

We are on the list for a black. Don't really care if it's a male or female. I think I told him male just because the dogs run small anyway, and I'd like to have him a little bit bigger. But I'd also be fine with a female. Our last lab was yellow, so I wanted to go with a different color this time.

I can't help you with the e-collar. I didn't use one on my last lab. I will be using one this time though. I'm going to be using the Bill Hillman video to help me train. I'm sure I'll also be out with Rick too!!!

More than likely if you follow the Hillman video you won't need to spend any time with Rick. Hillmans puppy video is one of thee best if not the best.

GOOD LUCK

I hope you're right. It's not a cheap DVD!!!

Actualy, that will be one of the cheapest investments you make in your dog.

GOOD LUCK

I found a used one on another site. It should be here this week. I would have paid full price, but I know that there are a ton of them sitting on someone's shelf collecting dust. I know after I'm done, I'll resell it.

I'll buy it from you when you are done. I have a new one (puppy) coming next Spring at this time. Will you be done by then?

Let me know

I'll definitely keep you in mind. I have no idea how long it will take. I would think I would be done by then though.

This post has been very helpful as I'm looking for a new pup. I talked to Rick at Old Oak for an hour yesterday but he may not have any pups available in my time frame. Diamond J. Brit. labs is going to have puppies ready in the time frame I was looking for, anyone have some feed back on this breeder. Thanks

This post has been very helpful as I'm looking for a new pup. I talked to Rick at Old Oak for an hour yesterday but he may not have any pups available in my time frame. Diamond J. Brit. labs is going to have puppies ready in the time frame I was looking for, anyone have some feed back on this breeder. Thanks

Did you check with Royalty British Labs in Milaca? John is a great guy...fun to talk with, and has great dogs. It was a toss up for us with which breeder to go with (Old Oak or Royalty). Both have superb dogs. Just so happens Old Oak is right out my back door (so to speak). Give John a call and/or go up and take a look at his dogs if you have time. It's a really neat experience.

I think I have now decided to wait until Old Oak has more pups available. I did look at Royalty British labs. It seems Old Oak has much better bloodlines than any of the other breeders as far as field trial awards. I'm I missing something or possible viewing this the wrong way? Any advice on how to view the bloodlines and what to get out of it?

I think I have now decided to wait until Old Oak has more pups available. I did look at Royalty British labs. It seems Old Oak has much better bloodlines than any of the other breeders as far as field trial awards. I'm I missing something or possible viewing this the wrong way? Any advice on how to view the bloodlines and what to get out of it?

You are probably right. I can tell you that John's dogs at Royalty are quality dogs too though. Obviously, I'm a little biased with Old Oak. wink