• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Father-Daughter Summer Trip Recommendations?

My oldest daughter (12) is my best fishing buddy. I promised her a Canadian fishing trip and would like to hear some firsthand recommendations of family friendly camps for a summer 2012 trip. I'm willing to do a fly-in, but am open to all suggestions. Price is always a consideration, but not looking for super high or low end - I've heard some places have better rates for kids. Walleye and northern would be the preferred species. Thanks for the input.

As much as I would love to someday get to CANADA for some fishing, one really does not have to look that far to have great fishing. There are awesome lakes in the Northern parts of WI, and MN that can make for a great fishing vacation. You could hire a guide, and stay at a camp ground. Guide will provide boat, bait, travel (to and from the lake). Makes for conserving on an otherwise costly summer fishing vacation. Let me know if you need some recommendations of areas to try. good luck, Tight lines....

We go to Donnelly's Minnitaki Resort twice a year. There is wireless i-net and Sioux Lookout is a 20 minute drive if you need to go to 'town'. Fishing has been fabulous for us, hence the reason we go back everytime. Resort owners are great and treat you like their family. They have quality resort boats, but have all the necessary requirements to keep your boat going, i.e. electricity/gas.

They have kept their prices the same the last several years and have maintained that they will stay that way this year, knowing that 'times are tough'. I thought that was pretty cool considering they need to make a living too. Cabins are very modern and comfortable.

Year-round fishery. We go for the opener (give/take) in May and then again in late September. 95% of Minnitaki is wilderness and it gets low pressure. Fish near camp or as far away as you want. Let me know what you think and I can give you more detail.

Good luck.

The type of trip below may be more DIY than you are looking for, but as far as I'm concerned, you can't beat it with any pre-made package. I love these kinds of trips and I wouldn't trade the time I get with my family, especially my son, for anything...

Regardless of what you end up doing, good luck and have a blast!

Father-Son Trip

By your handle it appears you already have a feel for what is avaialble in the states. Since you asked about Canada, I will give you a tip for Canada. Contact NWO in Fort Frances and ask them about about options. I can tell you first hand that Moose Point Resort on Shikag Lake will be the trip of a lifetime you are looking for. 100+ walleyes a day is common and the pike fishing can be second to none.

Are you looking for American plan or housekeeping plan? My son and I started going to Canada when he was 11. He has missed only one summer due to internship, he is now 23. We have enjoyed both plans. We really enjoyed Eagle Lake Island lodge. You fish bigger water. Fishing was very good. His favorite place is Andersons Manitou Falls Camp on the English River by Ear Falls. This is not a 5 star resort. It is a fishing camp. It has a lodge with a pool table, big screen tv for dvds. The cabins are fine, all electric, showers, micro, etc. When I cook my son would fish of the dock or boat. He will catch 100 + walleyes off the dock in a week. Largest is 27 in. and pike had approx. a 45 in. on. This is the best fishing we have had in Canada with the exception for northerns when my dad and I went to Kississing in Manitoba back in the 70s. No matter where you decide to go, you will have a blast with your daughter. Best off Luck

Hard to beat the Ear Falls area. Anderson's as said above is nice with gret fishing on the English River and/or Camping Lake and Lac Seul is 20 minutes away. Goose Bay Lodge on Lac Seul is great as my parents have stayed there. Don't give up on the provinicial parks if you have a camper though. Pakwash is a great stay as we were there last year and had a blast. If walleye and pike are the fish you are after, anywhere in the Ear Falls area is a great stay.