• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Best wheel house interior paneling?

aczr2k

What's the best interior paneling for a new wheelhouse? Does anyone sell prefinished tongue and groove? How about 4x8' sheets of tongue and groove or bead board? I've seen the 1/8" thick paneling and I don't think it will hold up over time. What's everyone been using? Pictures?

Many people like to use the 1/4" thick tongue and groove pine or cedar that regularly goes on sale at "maynards". If i remember right they also have pre-finished stuff that goes on sale once in a while.

We just used the unfinished pine in our wheel house and it has held up pretty good, although if i was to do it again i would seal it with something as it expands and contracts more without anything on it.

We also should have used construction adhesive along with the brad nails when it was installed

We also put a 12" strip of the white FRP "milkhouse" board around the bottom of the walls to keep the pine boards from getting scuffed up with boot marks and sprayed with ice shavings. full-32009-15601-dsc03036.jpg

I thought about the 4x8 sheets of bead board but they seemed pretty heavy.

I would stay away from any wood paneling as it will start to de-laminate with any moisture contact.

I am using the pine tongue and groove from the M store, but I missed the sale the first time. When I went back to get more for the ceiling they had the prefinished on sale for $12 a pack. I wish I would have hit the sale when they had the cedar, I would have rather had that.

full-22884-15639-1218011457.jpg

I used the 1/4" T and G pine for my interior and remain very happy with both duribility and appearance. It was finished with a water based poly that was sprayed on for an even coat of coverage. Prior to this wheelhouse, I had a skid house with paneling and had constant issues with warping. Best of luck to you.

BW; I bought the same unit (not a yeti, but the same design made by Soderblooms). It's super light, pulls great with a 6 cyl. SUV, and as of now the inside is just spray foam. It doesn't look the best, but it sure heats easily, and as I'm useing it I'm asking myself just how much "finishing" I really want to add.

I also plan to use it for a hauling trailer on occasion, so from the get go I knew i wasn't going to be putting in bunks, stove, etc...but it's really not big enough for that stuff anyway, in my book.

I might just end up adding a shelf here and there, figureing out what I want to do with the floor, and leaving it at that. Keep it light, keep it simple:)

I also have a Soderblooms all aluminum 6 1/2 x 14 plus 3 foot v. Cabinets with stove and furnace in front V. Pine tongue and groove paneling sealed on both sides before installation. Empty weight 1980 lbs. I just returned from Lake of the Woods (6 hours) pulling it with an Envoy 6 cylinder. It was loaded with 4 wheeler plus a couple hundred pounds of fishing/food. It pulled great but I was not fighting any wind which might make a huge difference.

Personally I would use T&G cedar not only because it looks good, but to me theres nothing better than the smell of cedar. I just helped a buddy finish his 5 1/2'x8' homemade wheel house, he wanted to use the cheap wood paneling to save a couple bucks. I told him that its just going to bite himm in the a$$ when it warps and needs to be replaced but no. So bottom line, go with anything T&G, pine or cedar its up to you.

Okay, here are some more of my thoughts:

If you are going to do tongue and groove buy the prefinished. I didn't and now I am putting a first coat of polycrylic on it and the vapors are strong. I am going to do a single coat now and a couple more in the spring.

I figured I would just do some white paneling for the ceiling and so I did the walls first (plus I was waiting for a guy to help me with the wiring). One piece up and I hated it, ripped it down and did tongue and groove. Do the ceiling first!

Just got done finishing the inside of my 7 x 8 house. I used the menards tongue and grove pine. They recommend i put three coats on it with that water based polycrylic in the blue can from menards. What a pain, but now that's it done looks great, it's all sealed and no smell in the house.

I have a finished birch paneling in mine and a buddy has cedar paneling in his. It's an all wood paneling and that's what you need not that laminated and recycled bull [PoorWordUsage]. Had it for almost 4 years and not a problem. You just have to do it properly (Staple, glue, or paneling nails). Buying the right stuff and installing it properly makes a world of difference!