• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Looking to Buy a new Camera

Hey All,

I figured I come as the professional what i should look for. I am sick of buy the small digital cameras that only last a year. So its time to spend some money and buy a good one.

Looking to see what you all have. I dont want o drop 1000's a dollors, but i want to get a good on. Im looking at the bigger black ones, such as nikon or cannon, but again, im a wet behind the ears as anyone when it comes to looking at these.

Was going to go to best buy today and look.

Please advise

BNS

I have had pretty good luck with Ritz Camera (online). I have a Rebel and a Nikon D70 (slightly older). The Rebel has more megapixels by far, but I think the Nikon takes better pics. I am no expert by any means, but I don't think you can go wrong with Canon or Nikon.

All the manufacturers are making good DSLR's these days. What you need to do is put each camera in your hand and see how it feels, the control layout, the menu structure and decide which you feel comfortable with. You are buying into a system so to speak. Lenses, flash systems, other camera bodies all can factor in your decision on which brand.

At this point you likely have no idea what your future needs might be, so again go back and look at the camera's and see how they feel to you. Don't get hung up on pixel count, or video capability. Find the body in your price range and go from there. The Rebel is a very good starter setup, Nikon, Sony, Pentax all make cameras that are good starters.

After you get closer to narrowing you choices post again and some folks will provide you with feedback on your specific choices. Have fun shopping!

I just picked up my first SLR, the Canon T3 you mentioned, on Monday. While I am still too new to the SLR game to give it any sort of a review regarding picture quality, here are some things I made my decision based off of.

I think the controls are very user friendly even though it is still easy to get lost in all that the camera can do. The T3 has several "Semi-Manual" modes that allow you to change either the Aperture, Shutter Speed and ISO independently while the camera adjusts the other 2 automatically to get the correct exposure. I find this a good way to get an understanding of what changing those elements does to the picture before jumping in to the fully programable mode.

I also agree with dbl in that you have to look at the whole system. Besides fit and general useability, I also chose the Canon over the Nikon 3100 because I knew I wanted an intermediate zoom lens with IS/VR as well as the 18-55 kit lens that comes standard, and the canon 55-250 IS was more in my price range than the comparable Nikon lens so before you buy, go try them out and determine what other lenses you think you may want down the line. As dbl said, it is hard to make a good decision without first picking up the cameras and trying them out.

You are definitely on the right track. There is a learning curve and the more you play with the different settings, the more things will become more automatic and the better you'll understand how exposure works. Just be sure to read and reread your manual. There is a lot of vauable info in the manual and I'm always surprised how many people don't know how to change important settings on their camera after having it for months or longer.

You went about making the decision in an intelligent way. When I got my first DSLR, I had never even seen one up close, let alone held one. I had been shooting 35mm SLR's for quite a few years so I wasn't concerned about the operation of it. Plus, I had done a lot of research on the different makes and models and knew what features were important to me. As soon as I saw a member from another photo forum advertising his Canon 30D at a fair price, I ordered it and still use it and love it. However, Dan's suggestions do make more sense.

Enjoy your new toy and take oodles of pics. Just don't get stuck in auto settings. The histogram will be your best friend. smile

I meant the Pentax is limited when it comes to accessories. Canon and Nikon have plenty of their own accessories and anytime another manufacturer makes a lens or accessory, they start by making it compatible with Canon or Nikon.