• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Need Help with Bow Sight

Jeff13

I'm getting a new bow here in the next month and wondering what kind of sight I should put on it. I have not bow hunted in 10 years and technology and options sure have changed.

I used to have a 4 pin sight on my old bow and now I see sights with 3+1 a "floating pin" sights with just 1 pin that you adjust every time you shoot at deer?

Just wondering what you guys are using? When I do choose it will be a G5 sight and price is not a factor, I will be getting about 60% off the cost of the sight. Just looking for some feed back on what you guys are using out there.

The bow is a Mathews Helim.

Thanks

Jeff

I would not go with a one pin sight unless you are absolutely sure you will not shoot over thirty yards. When a deer is close the last thing I want to be doing is adjusting my sight.

Three pins are usually enough unless you are going west on a spot and stalk in my opinion.

I too am a fan of fixed pins.. practice your anchor point at diff angles and you should be good to go..

Not sure why, but I have been a fan of 15-30-45 for sighting in.. I would rarely shoot at a deer past 30.. but if hurt I would and have put a finishing shot on a deer at that distance. ... 15 just seems like the perfect distance.

its all personal preference.

I have been very happy with Copper John products.. but get what fits your budget and bow...

For g5 products I do not recommend the fixed with the floater pin I bought one and returned it the next day to much clutter at longer ranges and it only came in red which caused a lot of shooting time too be lost. I shoot the HHA optimizer elite single pin, I set mine at 23 yards and that gets me from 0 to 30 yards with out having to adjust it. Depending on the speed of your bow and your anchor point rest height I was able to get mine out to 109 yards before I ran out of room to drop the single pin anymore.

I shoot a Black Gold Flashpoint 5 pin and really like it! I tried the single pin and and the adjustable awhile back but didn't like it when the target is on the move. Tricky to adjust on the fly.

I was going to stick with the Black Gold for another year as it is just ROCK solid but the Cypher from Trophy Ridge is kind of calling me! Made super light and has the light that the Apex and Tru Glo use, nice in lower light or in ground blinds.

I'm way more concerned about knowing the distance beyond 40yds than I am about adjusting my pin.

I also use an HHA single pin sight. I set mine at 27yds and my arrow is never more than 2" high and drops 2" out to 35yds. So, 1 pin out to 35yds. After that, if I can put my rangefinder to my eye to know the distance, then I can adjust my sight. I have enough adjustment for more than 80yds and thats just for playing with.