• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

My lab pup points

tacklejunkie

I have a 4 1/2 month old lab pup that I bought this year for a grouse hunting/fishing buddy. While going for a walk down my road, the pup went into the woods off the road and locked on a point. I'm talking head down, tail still point. I walked closer to him and out from a small group of saplings one grouse flushed and then another. My understanding is labs are not pointing dogs but flushers. Was his pointing the birds a fluke thing or could this be a trait I should/could develop further in him?

BTW...he has had bird intro and gun and is not shy of either

Plain and simple answer!

Your dog got on a scent and followed it. Your dog did in fact point which isn't uncommon of any dog.

The dog simply knew the bird was there and locked up. Probably because it saw it or didn't see it. Either way it knew it was there.

Often times my dog will lock up on a solid point when a bird holds tight and he cannot see it, but smells it and KNOWS it's there.

All we do is encourage him to get it. hell look back at us and look back at the area the bird is at and then pounce.

If I were you I would not worry one bit about it. Your dog just knew there was a bird there that it couldn't see....

Congrats on your experience and ownership of a lab with true "natural pointing" instinct. Since you have never trained for it, this should indicate to all the nay-sayers that there are labs with pointing genetics and not just a trained behavior to "stand" game. Actually through carefully thought out breedings there are becoming more and more labs with the pointing genetics. I know that at least 5 of the 9 pups out of our litter this year are pointing. If it is a trait that you desire, contrary to insanity's opinion, it is deffinately not to late to work with the trait. Many times, even with a traditional pointing breed, you have to work with the traits displayed to develope them to their full potential. If the genetics and traits are strong enough, it may actually be difficult to totally train the trait out of him. May I ask what his genetics are? Sire and Dam?

So when my dog points, you are telling me it is because its in his blood lines to do so not because his nose tells him something is there even though his eyes might not see it?

My friends Labernard (half lab half st bernard) will do the same thing, he will point when he smells something but he cannot see it. He must have pointing genetics....

Congrats on your experience and ownership of a lab with true "natural pointing" instinct. Since you have never trained for it, this should indicate to all the nay-sayers that there are labs with pointing genetics and not just a trained behavior to "stand" game. Actually through carefully thought out breedings there are becoming more and more labs with the pointing genetics. I know that at least 5 of the 9 pups out of our litter this year are pointing. If it is a trait that you desire, contrary to insanity's opinion, it is deffinately not to late to work with the trait. Many times, even with a traditional pointing breed, you have to work with the traits displayed to develope them to their full potential. If the genetics and traits are strong enough, it may actually be difficult to totally train the trait out of him. May I ask what his genetics are? Sire and Dam?

I contacted the breeders and they told me they did have some labs in the line that would point.

So, if I wanted to develop the trait, how would I go about doing this? I put a grouse I shot into the grass but he didn't point that. He found it but didn't point. Only the live ones

tacklejunkie,

Pointing labradors are not at all unusual, there are in fact breeders that are focused on building in the pointing traits. If you google pointing labrador puppies you will see the wide variety of pointing options that are out there. I own a female pointing lab, got her from a very reputable breeder of which I only found a handful. She was gauranteed to point and does very well to that affect! This was all new to me as I didn't have any experience with pointers at all...flushers are a no-brainer to me. This is a cool option and a natural occurance, it can be promoted or redirected. If you choose to do otherwise let the chips fall where they may and see what comes about.. It's an adventure everytime out and you won't be dissapointed regardless of the outcome.

Tackle junkie,

Get/read "TRAINING THE POINTING LABRADOR" (Hardcover)by JULIE KNUTSON She is THE expert on PLs. I used her book as my basis when I got my PL 2.5 years ago. Chad at Willow Creek Kennels near Little Falls also helped me when she was a pup. I never opted to develop her pointing skills to full potential because I'm just a guy who wants to hunt with his dog. However, Chad told me exactly what I would need to do to develop her pointing. (Even without that training she points about half the pheasants we find. Honestly, I like it that way because you never know if she will point or flush.)

+1 on "Training the Pointing Labrador". Very good read for all dog folks.

Labs in general live for the retriever work they are so good at. That being said, one of the key concepts to further develope a natural point is that no reward "retrieve" is given for bumped birds. I would suggest lots of contactss with planted birds where you can control the hunt. Pigeons are often used because of lower costs. Some whoa training might be nice but not necessary with a dog with a strong natural point. Make sure the birds are put down light so if the pups crowds the bird it will flush out. If this happens, say nothing and move on to the next bird. When the pup points a bird you can shoot it for the reward and give lots of praise. With repitition, the pup will soon learn what it is that you expect. The cardinal rule for pointing labs is to never ever let them catch the bird. Working with a young pup, it might be best to work him into the scent cone on a check cord. Feel free to come back with any questions.

Your pup should not point dead or severely wounded birds. Live healthy birds and downed birds have different smell so you want them to retrieve the downed birds. Good Luck