• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Spear?

Archerysniper

I have been useing a spear that is very sentimental to me it was my good friends and I got it after his death. My problem with it is that I can't get the fish off of it without normally taking my knife to cut the fish off. What are your views,get a different spear or just continue using this one? I'd hate to modify it.

AS what doest it look like ?

I'm guessing that the barbs stick out to far on it which it makes it difficult to remove the fish.

Is it possible to move the barbs so they are at less of a angle to the tine?

I understand the sentimental thing as I was using the spear my father made I loved using it but I figured it was time to find a new one and retire his

I made one but it just wasnt the same as dads then I found a smokin deal at a garage sale on a spear that was older than dads but man did throw nice the balance was perfect so I used that one for a couple years then last season I bought a new one from the same maker as MJ has and I simply love it

Jeremy, looking at that spear compared to the one you loaned me yesterday, I can see the barbs are much more severe on the one you got that northern with. Obviously I'm new to this so I don't know much about spears but would it make sense to use an angle grinder and take off some of the severity of the barbs? How about squeezing them down a bit so they don't stick out so much? I know it's modifying but not sure how else it could be done.

Those tines look like they are welded solid thru it would be a total remod to redue those types of tine Jeremy if thats what they are.

I could do it for you but I would have to wait until my surgery and I heal up a bit.

I would keep using it . Looks to be a nice spear.

Try cutting a slot in a 1"x6" board from the center of one end that is the width of your spear to use to kick the fish off the other side of the board. It is tough to explain but think of it as putting the spear through a picket fence with the fish on the other side and pulling the spear out of the fish. The board can be set on the ice with a crossways 2x6 screwed under it to hold 1 end off the ice with the slot to accomidate the spear with the fish attached slide fish under it as you pull spear out. You stand on the other end of the board and GIVE A GOOD PULL ON THE SPEAR. Good luck I will try to submit a picture if this seems too confusing.