• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

New DNR land purchase- Please ask that it become an archery only area!!

lungdeflator

The DNR was able to purchase 1000 acres surrounding La Salle Lake just NE of Itasca State Park. Right now they are in the planning stage, deciding what to do and how to run the area. Public input is invited. Please fill out the survey on the link below. And ask that the area be open to archery deer hunting only! If you are a bow hunter, this will provide a great oppurtunity to see and harvest a great buck without the hassle of city permits or ripley lotterys. Thanks!

http://www.dnr.state.mn.us/input/mgmtplans/parks/lasalle.html

Don't you think lung it will get a lot of pressure no matter what develops ? See and harvest a great buck hmmmmmmm was there 4 at Ripley that made 200 pounds on 66,000 acres or something with 4,000 bowhunters or something ? I'll vote bow though and what about squirrel,grouse,rabbit,bear hunters, trappers, etc. ? It's interesting for sure.

I won't vote anything but I would not vote bow only if I did. If DNR purchases land with all of our tax dollars then they should decide the best way to have the most people use the land. I bow hunt also so it's not like I am against bow hunters - I just think they should decide how to use the land best based on science and not political lobbying.

Really this is the response? I thought those who liked bowhunting would be all for another archery only area. Just like anything else anybody can have any input they want. The purpose of a public input survey is to base the goals and regs for the area on public input. Of course the DNR will most likely do what they want regardless, but it doesnt hurt anything to express interest in what you want. I personally think archery only areas are key to growing big bucks. I like seeing big bucks so I see no problem in expressing my interests in a public input survey. Its kinda like the wolf thing, the wolf lovers have a louder voice, therefore more impact than those who would like to open a season. If an area becomes only open to flower photography, it means those who wanted it open to hunting didnt express enough concern about the issue and are left whining about it after the fact.

lungdeflator, I think a lot of people who would support your thinking won't bother to reply to this thread because they know they'll hear the exact kind of responses above. I don't think there's anything wrong with the response above, and at one level I agree with them, but at another I definitely hear where you're comin' from...

I think some folks will avoid replying so they don't have to defend their line of thinking and the limiting of land to any one particular hunting method.

It's not that big of an area to have any impact on the quality of your hunting. The schoolcraft is just down the road and that's already bowhunting only,how much more is needed. As a fellow bowhunter for 35 yrs, with the thousands of acre's around us in Bemidji, it's so rare for me to see other bowhunters during season,why do we need more "bow only" areas? Taz