• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Snaps for quick-changin'

buzbunni

Does anyone use those teeny snaps for quick-n-easy changes? I guess I'm wondering if this effects the presentation at all(at least to any degree that matters negatively). I have always just tied-on, but when you're searching for the right combo it would be nice to just pop them on/off.

------------------
SERIOUSLY! It was THIS big!

I am assuming that you are referring to using these with artificials? I would not use these with any jig. The way jigs hang on the line can be very critical....you'd never get a true horizontal presentation using any method of attachment other than direct tying. Oftentimes how one ties a lure like a rapala on makes all the difference in the world how it works in the water. Sometimes shortcuts just shorten the time between lure swaps, but in the long run cut into the ability to catch fish.

------------------
Plastics...making better fishermen without bait! Good Fishing Guys! CrappieTom

muckbootsonline.com Pro Staff
Culprit Tackle Crappie Pro Staff
Catch-n Tackle
[email protected]

I agree with Tom, I wouldn't use any sort of quick clip with jigs, I would tie directly to the jig. Those clips can play a role in changing the action of the jig as well as appeal to the fish. Using clips and swivel snaps are ok with casting larger lures, but I would try directly with panfish.

Good Fishin,
Matt Johnson

------------------
Matt Johnson Outdoors
Metro Area Ice Fishing, Team Catch-N, and more...

[email protected]
Iceleaders
Catch-N Tackle and Bio Bait
MarCum
Stone Legacy
JR's Tackle

I have tries a Snap Hook # 3 sold by Netcraft,No-Knot Fas-Snap size small from Cabelas and have had very good luck with them. Changing jigs is quick and very easy.
The jigs hang from the snap hooks at a 45 degree angle and allow the jig to swivel for some extra action.
All the crappies I have caught so far were hooked in the roof of the mouth with no missed fish.
I use a improved cinch or palimar knot with four pound test line. I also retie before or after each trip.
<FUI> The fly rod people have been using the snap hooks for years.
<BTW. the crappie fishing in the Park Rapids area has been fantastic

[This message has been edited by Bob/Mn (edited 06-11-2004).]

I have used these "no knot" speed clips a few times and still carry a couple packs in the satchel, but for the most part I do not use them unless I am fishing spinner or a jig which is being retrieved without stopping....like a twister or a thumper jig. This is the beauty of fishing....no one technique is set in stone as being the best. One technique might prove to be more productive in a given situation. 99% of my fishing is done vertically with or without a float so these little tools don't see much action from me....I prefer everything to be tight from the reel to the lure. It has been shown that more fish are caught on jigs that are hanging parallel to the surface of the water though. To me, a loose hanging jig would equate to missed hits.

------------------

Catch-n Tackle
[email protected]

Most of the people/relatives I take fishing are inexperienced fishermen. They do not know how to tie knots. Since I use a lot of tubes with a inside head the easy clips make changing skirts a breeze and I am not spending a lot of time tieing knots.
I do agree that a jig should hang at 90 degrees to the surface for better hook-ups and presentation. The fishing last week with the easy clips, jig, and float did not seem detract from hook-ups or presentation in any way. Come to think of it most of the people I fish with never bother to reposition the knot after catching a fish and they still catch fish. I think a lot depends on the size of the offering, if it is small the fish suck it in reguardless of position.
<IMHO>The easy clips are just a time saver tool for the guy in the back of the boat that has to ware the many hats required to put some fish in the boat.

I like using them ice fishing with spoons, anything from a #2 glow swedish pimple, glow devil or 1/2 oz buck shot spoon and airplane jigs, works fine for me, I think the space where the eye sits gives it an extra wobble which entices them a little bit better. Just my opinion.
Best Fishes
Chris

I Have tied the Clinch, Improved and or the Trilene Knot since I was 10 I'm 44 now. The Palomar Knot is the quickest, simplest, and fastest, Knot to tie with the exception of that Lindy Snell loop. Crappies can be finicky enough without adding a clip or something to distract them even more. As for Sunnies well they will try and put anything in their mouths.

Bob...I think you'll see here that most experienced anglers will prefer the direct tie method, but you indicated that you had inexperienced anglers in tow and I think you did the right thing in using whatever makes things simple. I know that when the grandkids are tagging along with me, simple is good. Keeping the "experience" a happening thing is what counts here. This is what brings the young ones back and there will be plenty of time for the finer points as they grow into the sport. Good job and keep up the good work!

------------------

Catch-n Tackle
[email protected]

When I was a kid my Dad would set me up with a pack of snelled hooks and jigs. The snells were short, just a few inches. That left me free to switch baits or hook sizes myself on a snap swivel. It looks ugly, but it caught fish because the bait was connected by the right line for the situation.

If you have kids along you could do that. I usually just count on not getting any fishing done myself when I have more than two kids in the boat.