• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Lab has Cancer :-(

Kettle

Looking for some insight, I have a lab 12 yrs old and has a mass on its left front side, took her to the vet and was told it was cancerous. Options are to remove it ( I don't care the cost) or leave it be and have her cope with it. There are pros and cons to the removel, pro being could get some more time with her, cons being might not get it all or possibly not make surgery. Wondering if anyone has gone through this and what they did, removed it or let it take its course, if so how long did you have the dog after the cancer started? Any help would be great, my best friend here, got her at 13 yrs old was in 7th grade :-(

Kettle

sorry to hear that Kettle. i had brother and sister [got them as pups at the humane society]. the male was put to sleep with a twisted stomach. the female soon after with growths on her head and on the side. they both lived to be nearly 15. in both cases the vet said there realy was nothing they could do. we waited till the last minute with the female, but the male had to be put to sleep for he was suffering. we might of waited a little too long with the female, but it was so hard to let go. she was still getting around well until near the end so we wanted to keep her around as long as possible. but we knew when it was time somehow, real tough on us both. Reinhard

Very sorry you have to go through this. Our black lab Whitney had a cancerous(stage 4)lump removed from her front shoulder at the age of 7. Our vet indicated that usually it will come back at some point. Weekly radiation treatments were an option. We decided against putting her through the treatments. The prognosis was 4 to 6 months with stage 4 cancer. I had the mindset to appreciate and enjoy every moment with her in her time left. She gave us 4 more years of memories and unconditional love. I will pray for you and your lab as you go through this difficult decision.

I feel for all you guys. We just had to put our 11.5 year old lab down last weekend. She had a softball size cancerous tumor in her stomach. She had quit eating dogfood in late October and the only thing I could get her to eat were cheap hotdogs and chicken patties. In the end she wouldn't even eat those. That lump grew that size in the last ten days of her life. Hunted her on her last day and she did get one final short duck retrieve. She was so weak the vet said it only took half a dose to put her down. The decision was actually pretty easy as I wasn't about to let her starve to death or have to be carried because she couldn't walk and was suffering. The vet did say he removed the same type of tumor on a two year old dog and it only lasted six more months before the cancer came back and had to be put down. Kettle you have a tough decision just do what's best for your dog and you will be able to live with it. No matter what it isn't easy that's for sure. Just received our dog's ashes back yesterday and it still hurts like heck. Good luck.

frown Kettle sorry about the news, three yrs ago I put down my lab, Parker, he had a blood tumor on his lower leg. It was removed once and then grew back again about six months later, he was 11 yrs old and my buddy- my best friend. Enjoy everyday with your lab like I know you will do- we all do. For what ever reason you will know when it is time to make one of the toughest decisions in life.

Kettle,

We are in the same boat. Our "Lambeau"(black lab), developed a tumor in his mouth back in July. The doc removed it and asked if we wanted it biopsied? We decided against it. Long story short, the tumor has been removed a total of 4 times since July. He has been kept on antibiotics since after the 2nd removal, which has helped keep infection away, After the 3rd time, doc said he would not be able to remove it anymore because the cancer had entered the jaw bone. So, when 2 weeks ago he had to be spoon fed canned dogfood to eat and would not drink, we took him in expecting the worst. Turns out a 2nd tumor was growing off the first making the eating and drinking impossible(Swallowing). Doc said he still saw alot if life in Lambeau and wanted to remove the new tumor to buy him some more time. Let me add that everytime the tumor has been removed Lambeau comes home like a new dog, with all the energy of a 1 year old puppy.So for now we enjoy everyday and all the Packer games we have with Lambeau. We hope he gets to see another Superbowl. The antiobiotics do not allow him to have dairy, so our Lambeau does miss eating cheese, but he gets his pills in Liver sausage the next best thing. Enjoy your time with him what ever you decide. We will keep removing Lambeaus tumor as long as the doc says there is still quality if life and we can afford to. God bless you and your lab. BTW, what is the dogs name? You will both be added to my nightly puppy prayers.

Mama Norts

Kettle, Sorry to hear the bad news. We are going thru this with our Black Lab. He had a large growth on his back and it was cancer. We had it removed 3-4 months ago. The doctor wanted us to do chemo but we opted against it. He said it was hard on the dog. He now has some more tumors growning in the general area of the old one. We are not going to have them removed this time and will make him as comfortable as possible.

He has good days and bad, but until he tells me it is time we will deal with it.

Good Luck,

Mike

Unfortunately they all seems to grow back.

My advice is let the dog live its life. If it isn't bothering the dog, don't worry about it. Two of my dogs have had similar problems. One currently still living has several lumps and bumps all over him. He is as happy as can be and doesn't seem to bother him at all. He is 12. Now another dog who we put down was 13, he would just tip over while walking, after about 5 minutes of seeming like he was paralyzed he would get up and start walking like nothing happened. We ended up putting him down just because it was happening so frequently.

Use your best judgement, after all the dog is part of your family. If you want to get it removed and do other treatments, go for it. I however, say if it isn't bothering the dog leave it until it is bothering the dog, or is in pain. Your dog is 12, 80 some years old in our aspect. It has lived a good life in my eyes if its made it this far.

I myself have never in my life taken 'heroic' efforts to prolong a dog's life in it's senior years. I have had to make hard decisions and cried when it's time to say goodbye, but I prefer to let nature take it's course and keep the dog comfortable and really enjoy every moment I get with them when cancer moves in. Sometimes it's quick and sometimes it takes a fairly long time. I always have the vet check them over and adjust what meds we decide to give... no chemo, no radiation, never have done surgery...

I look at it this way... "TO WHAT END". If you do heroic measures and the dog responds well, do you gain a year? (13) 6 months? 4months?... ultimately the normal life span of a lab has already been hit. Heroic measures or not, statistics say he probably will not live much past this mark. I have had a couple make it past 13, one almost 16 and one almost 14, but majority have been between 11 1/2 and 12 1/2 when it was time to say goodbye.

If you don't go the surgery route, keep him comfortable and watch him along the way, can you still have 6 months? That seemed to be the average time I had with dog's with a cancer diagnosis... I made each day of those 6 months count. I felt good knowing they were for the most part good days. The 1st time I faced this dilema I will admit I cancelled 'the day' twice and regret it immensely... because of my selfishness, she really suffered the last night. I promised her I would never do that again and when I know the time is near, I do not procastinate. I owe it to them...

I wish there were easy answers to this dilemna... but there is not. You need to assess the situation you and your dog are in, consult heavily with your vet and make a plan and do the best you can with it. In the end, you need to really enjoy the time you have left with your dog, this position is never easy and never one we wish to face, but always keep your dogs best interest in the forefront and your's behind his.

Here's wishing you and your dog the best during these trying times...

Ken

Great advise labs4me. I also had to put our last dog down a year or so back and wished I would have had this advise at that time. She was a cocerpoodle mix and we loved her dearly. The last night she was with us she suffered more than I want to share and ultimatly died in are arms at the vet while we waited for the injection. Very sad day and not what we wanted as our last memories of her. I now have a Black Lab that has become my best freind and will give him the best life I can. With that said I also will not let him go thru what are last dog did even though it will be tuff on all involved. I read alot on here as folks loose there best freinds and I can honesly say I never make it thru one of your stories without tearing up and understand I will be in that same boat again someday. Good luck to all of you and there is nothing better for me to read and feel great that these animals have such loving and caring folks as they do. My heart goes out to you during your losses.

Thanks for the info, I am going to just go to another vet and get that second opinion, I do not believe I will get it removed, she seems to not be bothered by it at all, still has no problem getting onto my recliner chair. I think the second opinion is more for reassurance for myself and family. I will enjoy the time I have here and will not push her to far, when it is time it is time, until then she will be a spoiled fat black lab.

Kettle

I had to say goodbye to my pheasant buddy this summer due to Lymphoma. It sucks. But we enjoyed our final month together and spoiled her rotten. Even on the day when I knew the next would be her last she wanted nothing but to chase the ball. Pheasant season wasn't the same this year. I was devastated because she was 5 and should have had nearly 10 years left in her.

good luck and just keep her comfortable.

This is a personal decision. It also comes down to what you can afford and what you are comfortable with. As well as, What are your expectations. It also depends on what type of cancer it is. If you want the best care, and the best knowledge on this there is only one place to go. The U of M! They really are the only experts on dog cancer in this area. IMHO, The only real way to decide what to do is to first find out what you are up against.

My 10 yr old Golden Girl Gracie,was diagnosed with Lymphoma back in June. We didn't know what to do. To us, she acts more like a 5 yr old dog. She has way more energy and spunk than our 5 yr old. We decided hopefully she has a few more year in her. Lymphoma also out of all the cancers is the most treatable. She was treated at the U and will be be recieving her last treatment today. She has done Great and honestly doesn't even know she has cancer. Her first few treatments she was quiet and didn't want to eat for a day or two. But with the meds they give you it greatly decreases any side effects. Now after getting used to it. Has hardly any side effects.She is enjoying life. She goes once a week and she loves it! She gets to play with the other dogs and the Oncology department takes great care of her. It is expensive though.

Our Vizsla had a lump on his leg for a couple of years, it finally got infected and it was diagnosed as cancer (five weeks ago). We chose not to remove it as he was 12 and the surgery would greatly limit his mobility for quite sometime. He died last week after the cancer spread throughout his body and his neck became too swollen. We miss him. He lived a great life up until the last day, went pheasant hunting on Thanksgiving. We are at peace with the decisions we made regarding his care. Best wishes to you in this decision.