• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Rain - now what?

deeky

We had a good storm pass through early this morning with rain, thunder, and I think some hail (my wife said there was, I slept through it). So what is this going to do to the crappies that were moving in shallow? Does the rain wash in food they are looking for or does it drive them deeper because of the temp and noise?

Nothing.It won't affect the crappies whatsoever.It will affect people more.The crappies move in,move out at different times of the day.The rain causes insects to drop out of sky and fish will feed on the surface.Birds will eat the remainder.I've been on the water fishing when storms have rolled in and the fishing at times can be fast and furious and you can't keep them off your line.I'm not saying that weather does'nt affect them at all,it just depends on barometric pressure,wind,and cold fronts.
It would'nt be advisable to be on any lake when you see lightning.That's pretty much where i draw the line.I've been on a lake in a electrical storm and believe me,when you see your buddy's hair stand on end,it can get pretty scary.The chances of getting fried are greatly increased when you sit in a boat during bad weather.
The fish don't care,they just move into adjacent deeper water,then move back when the weather subsides.
I hope this answers some of your ?'s.

CM

p.s Deeky,welcome to fishingminnesota.com!

[This message has been edited by CrappieMagnet (edited 04-18-2004).]

Thanks, that does help. And a big no way on the lightning issue. I don't even care to sit out in the rain if it's more than a mist. Can't stand wet clothes and there's always tomorrow (my work schedule is pretty flexible). Thanks again - this site has been a HUGE help!

Deeky....In part I will agree with what the c.magnet says. You need to consider many things though to say that these storms will not affect the fishing. Right now a rain will not hurt the fishing and yes right now the craps are prone to moving from deep water to shallow and back again etc,etc,etc.....If you get lots of lightning and thunder, don't look for shallow fish for at least a day....the concussion from close thunder will lay these fish deep and dormant If the barometer takes a nose dive and you fall back into colder air temps, you will need to stay deep as well. And perhaps for several days. The exceptions to the rain are cold rain which will take the heat out of the water for quite a depth and cause the fish to move back down and if the rains were heavy enough to cause muddy run-off in the shallows you have been finding fish in....find the mud line/clear water line and you will find the bulk of your fish, usually deeper.Until the water temps are consistant with those required for the spawn, do not assume that any weather that includes any of the lightning, thunder, rain, hail and wind will go un-noticed by the fish.

------------------
Plastics...making better fishermen without bait! Good Fishing Guys! CrappieTom

Culprit Tackle Crappie Pro Staff
[email protected]

Not to mention when your line on your rods start to "sing", its time to get off the water. I will admit to being out a few times when this occurs just because the fishing is so great, and I just can't get enough fishing in no matter how much I do. Now that I am 32 and wiser though I get off the water when a storm approaches.

Storms will typically push the fish a little deeper for a short period of time. Lighter rain won't effect the crappies as much, I've had some excellent crappie fishing in the rain. Wind can also play a role, depending on the wind and depth the fish are located, you can have a change in the fish behavior. I've noticed this mostly on shallow fish, where wind will slow things down slightly, but not so much as a heavier storm.

My best day crappie fishing ever was right before that huge storm came through the Chisago area about 5-6 years ago. We were out fishing and pounding the crappies, good size too, then the sky turned green and the water turned black, but we pounded the crappies even more! So, not using our best judgement, and losing track of the weather conditions becasue of fishing excitement, we kept fishing. Once the wind picked up and the sirens went off we decided to head off the lake, where we encountered high waves crashing over the sides of the boat...oh yeah, the hail hurt too wink.gif I don't reccomend sticking it out when a storm comes through, I know I won't ever again smile.gif

Good Fishin,
Matt Johnson

------------------
[email protected]
Iceleaders
Catch-N Tackle and Bio Bait
MarCum
Stone Legacy
JR's Tackle

I was shorecasting on Lake Superior once when a storm was approaching. It got pretty close to us when we noticed that our lines were being dragged up into the air...so much so that a 3/8 ounce lure simply skittered across the surface of the water- and the wind wasn't even blowing! The air was charged with static and of course we were fishing with 10 foot graphites. Not a good place to be! And yes, I got very wet and as MJ stated, that hail hurts big time!

------------------
Plastics...making better fishermen without bait! Good Fishing Guys! CrappieTom

Culprit Tackle Crappie Pro Staff
[email protected]

man you guys are braver (?) than me! i got educated two years ago at home. went out to put my truck in the garage. was reaching to open the door ; my fringers were about 8 in from it. heard this sizzle sound and watched electrical current go from the door to my fingers for a couple of seconds. no serious damage, but my arm went numb for a few minutes. now if i see a storm i'm motoring for shore. del

My dad used to say "the best fishing is after the rain". But he didn't qualify it anymore as to air temp or season or water clarity etc. so I would NEVER avoid fishing just because it had rained. On the other hand, I have also had some good fishing time right before it rains so I don't avoid it before either.
Gene