• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Cold-weather motor care Question

IowanSince02

I'm in Iowa, and hope to take my boat out a couple more times (I live in Iowa). Of course, I also hope to not have my lower unit freeze up! Unfortunately, my garage is not well insulated.

Any recommendations on how to keep my lower unit warm enough that it won't freeze (if there is any water)? I thought of maybe wrapping an electric hot pad to it.

Just lower the motor when you load at the ramp and let drain....

+1

You may also want to check the gear lube for water by removing the drain screw. Do this today before you run it so if there is any water in there it will be st the bottom.if all you get is straight oil then you're good to go.

After each use, I lower the motor and when it gets straight up and down it dumps residual water from the prop. Also, if you're worried about water in your lower unit oil, just change the oil now. You don't need to run any heating devices as long as you're relatively diligent about draining any excess water.

One thing that we all failed to mention is that if you're talking about an inboard/outboard engine, disregard everything that we said. I/Os have water in them that need to be drained. Everything that we mentioned above was for an outboard, so hopefully that is what you were talking about!

If you find that there is water in the lower unit oil there's something wrong. Everyone so far has just said change the oil but I don't think that necessarily is the answer. If a seal is kaput then it could get more water in it. I also doubt you want to ding around with that this time of the year. I wonder if you could fill a garbage can with water and put the lower unit in the water and then put a stock tank heater in. I suppose the heating pad thing would work as well but I would wrap it up somehow to try and keep the heat in the unit rather than just blowing around.

Just some ideas.