• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

DSLR question

Without wanting to hijack other threads, I'm looking for an honest opinion on the Canon T2i and T3i cameras. I have an opportunity to purchase a T2i at a greatly reduced price, or a T3i at a little less than market value. Both come with extra lenses, bag, 8 GB card, etc. Always have had a huge interest in photography, but am starting to realize that my point and shoot and cell-phone aren't going to do the WOW photos. Lot's of nature photo's and action shots (kids playing sports.)

1. Are these good entry-level DSLR cameras?

2. Is it worth the extra money for the "newer" model?

3. Any "gotchas" that I need to be aware of with Canon's?

4. Any real-world experience?

I've read reviews, but many of them get pretty technical from the photography side. I hope to get there with additional research, but am looking for a blessing from some of the folks I've come to trust on here.

Thanks!

Entry level DSLR's from just about any manufacturer will really give you a look at what you can accomplish without having to sell the farm. Yeah, newer models will do a few things better then older models, but I know pros that use older model entry level cameras as a second or third body and they provide incredible photos. Age is less of a factor than how much it's been used. A number of shutter clicks is an important factor with an older camera. A couple of thousand shutter actuations means that it's barely broken in. A hundred thousand means a new shutter mechanism might be needed in the near future. A couple of caveats:

You mention WOW photos, and there are a couple of factors that will keep you from getting those even with new, expensive DSLR's. One involves the lens (glass) you have on it. You mention getting some lenses with it. Kit lenses will have some limits on what your finished product can be. There's a reason why a kit lens costs $150 and an "L" glass of approximately the same size costs a couple of thousand. You can put a poor lens on a good camera and have a lot of image quality loss. You can put good glass on an entry level and take photos that will be the envy of everyone.

That said, the second factor is even more important. A DSLR doesn't act like a point and shoot. You can't just put the camera on AUTO, take a shot and expect WOW! There are decisions you make that will put the WOW in your photos. I really suggest you find a class, locate a club or someone else knowledgeble about DSLR's, or even hire someone for an excursion or take a workshop, and spend some time to learn what you can MAKE the camera do for you.

Lastly, it looks like you have most of what you'll need to get started. Extra batteries and memory cards are always good to have.

Thanks! I'm already signed up for a couple of workshops in the cities over the winter, they provide camera's for folks that don't have one, but strongly encourage the use of your own camera. Groups or clubs in the Cloquet area seem to be few and far between. Thus the reason for taking some classes in the cities.

I know it will take time, money, and experience to get that WOW photo, but I'm curious if I'll be off on the right foot with the models I mentioned previously. I don't have an issue spending a little more the better quality lenses once I have the experience and knowledge to put them to good use.

I should also add that price and timing are playing a strong role in this. Hunting season is winding down, and hard water is weeks away, so I've got time to pick up a hobby I've always been interested in and have always appreciated. Pricing seems to be pretty good for what I've seen at comparable shops for the same models.

I, like Steve, have not personally shot these cameras. I quickly looked at the specs and I think either would do very well for you. Both are used? Private seller? Camera store? Get the cameras in your hands to see how they fit and where the controls are. Do the control features seem intuitive to you? Would be nice if you could snap a couple of shots with each to get a feel of them. Hard to tell what the finished product will look like from the view on the back, but would give you some ideas of how the camera performs. If possible, find out how many shots have been taken on them.

Thanks for taking a peek.

Both are brand new, in the box. I've played with the demo models they have, and they both feel right when I've got them in my hands. So from what I can gather, it's only the technical piece I need to worry about. I'm getting someone's employee discount on this purchase as a thank you for some computer consulting work I did for them.

I have the 18-55 IS lens and it does a fine job. I understand it's much better than the first 2 18-55 kit lenses they came out with. I've used it for candids, landscapes and close ups such as flowers and bugs and never been disappointed.

You could go to the HSOforum for BH Photo and read the reviews for these lenses. I've heard the 55-250 isn't too bad either.

Here are the lenses:

T2i

EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS Lens

EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS Lens

T3i

EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS II

EF 75-300mm f/4-5.6 III

I'd go with the T2i package in this case. The 55-250 has a little less reach than the 75-300, but it has IS which is quite a worthwhile feature in longer lenses, and is a better lens in general. Marketing aside (Canon would spit in my coffee for what I'm about to say) and considering the specs on the cameras, there's not going to be a lot of difference from one body to the other considering what you'll be shooting.

I have the 55-250 lens in the first package. I agree that while the extra reach would be nice, the IS is more important.

I started out with the basic Rebel XT, and just upgraded to a 60D. I am glad I went that route, since I was able to learn a ton without breaking the bank. When I wanted to achieve things that my Rebel couldn't, that's when I knew I was serious enough to want the upgrade.

I'll admit fully that I forgot to hop back on here to thank you guys. I did go with the T2i based on the lens recommendations, and have started having some fun now that we're between hunting and ice fishing. I'll be trolling the forums here to try to look for tips that you guys have posted. If I can figure out how to post some pics on here, I'll be asking for criticism (constructive hopefully.) smile

Thank you again for your insight.

I'll admit fully that I forgot to hop back on here to thank you guys. I did go with the T2i based on the lens recommendations, and have started having some fun now that we're between hunting and ice fishing. I'll be trolling the forums here to try to look for tips that you guys have posted. If I can figure out how to post some pics on here, I'll be asking for criticism (constructive hopefully.) smile

Thank you again for your insight.

At the top of the Photography and Photo Sharing forum there is a great how to post pictures. If you have any questions send me a PM and we can work you through the process.