• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Sunnies

Iceman12

I am going to be fishing for some sunnies in a little company ice tourney in Wisc later this week. Just wondering what is everyone's lure of choice for catching sunnies? Do you jig them or use a bobber? Just looking for some different opinions on ways to fish for them. Thanks

Yep, red glow has been a hot color for me so far this winter on both crappies and sunfish. Cusotm Jigs n Spins Ratso's are working very well too. Pink head with a white body in suze 8 Ratso. Euro larvae or Bio Bait have been my two top panfish producers this winter. I jig for the majority of my panfish but putting on an Ice Buster Bobber cut down to barely keeping the float above water can work well too.

Good Fishin,
Matt Johnson

------------------
First Choice Guide Service

[email protected]
Iceleaders
Catch-N Tackle and Bio Bait
MarCum
Stone Legacy

I catch most of mine jigging with small ice jigs(genz worm, no name stuff) tipped with two or three waxies. I rarely use a bobber, except maybe a spring bobber if the resistance of my rod tip is causing them to drop the bait. I also set the rod down and dead stick sometimes if they don't want it jigged. I don't like a bobber cause you don't get the bait down there fast enough, they freeze up, or you have to haul hand over hand and isnt as fun.

I am by no means a sunfish guru or expert. However, I nailed the sunnies Saturday. IN fact m y lure seemed to bring up the larger fish as well. More than likely luck, but thought I'd share.

I was using a 1/16th red glow devil that Scott Steil borrowed me on Winnie a couple weekends ago.
Thanks Scott! The sunnies loved it!

Tipped with a waxie.

Jim W

PS> Remember to make the fsih come up to your offering.

I was wondering if the 1/16 glow devils would work for sunnies. Sounds like they do. I will have to go pick some up. I just have the 1/8. It sounds like it's quite the wait for the glow devils right now. I will just wait until spring to order the 1/16.

Iceman12... I'd go find a vaiety of lures in the RED "new" or "super" glow color. That red has been hot every time I've used it this winter. You might find that it is the color and not so much the shape of the lure that is triggering the strikes.

------------------
Plastics...making better fishermen without bait! Good Fishing Guys! CrappieTom
[email protected]

Not a huge sunny guy. Mainly a perch and walleye guy. What depth of water are you fishing the sunny and or Crappie. I am not really in the mood to drive an hour and a half to Red after a 7 hour trip to Winnie are there any descent lake near Bena and or Deer River that are good for a pan fish bite?

Thank you
CrookedHook

Crooked hook, it really depends on what kind of lake you are fishing. My favorite is to target small shallow lakes that have one or two deep areas, and that is where the fish will hold. I'm talking deepest spot 10-20 feet, and fishing in thsoe areas. As far as finding them on big lakes... I dunno.

Wow that was quick. I am staying near Winni. Was thinking about Ball Club or Portage lake. I know of a smaller lake that has a hole of 60 feet but most of the lake is either 25 feet or 4 feet. Some really nice drop off's. I have heard that some guys are getting them in 8-12 feet of water. Any truth?
Thanks
CH