• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Where to go, when to go, and who to go with

fishingdad

Hello Everone: Here is my question My 11 year old son is absolutely over the top excited about northern fishing. We went just about every weekend we could this fall. Let me tell you it was alot of fun to see him catch a 26" pike and think it was so big we should "get it mounted" Where in Minnesota would any of you go if you could, on a trip to catch some big northerns, what time of year would you suggest, and what would you use. If anybody knows of any guides that specialize in Northerns only that would be great. My plan is to take him somewhere next summer for his birthday on a northern mission. We have a 19' Lund so big water isn't a problem. Its just that I'm a walleye guy and I haven't really fished that hard for northerns in 30 years. Keep in mind he is 11 and patience is not at the top of the list Thanks for any suggestions

Mille Lacs is another option. i'm sure there are guides for sure. early in the year i would fish Vineland, Cove, and Isle bays. also the weedlines up in the Wealthwood's north end in Bergstroms Bay is excelent. the west ends, Wigwam Bay also puts them out. these areas are great in the fall as well. maby even get a bonus Musky as well. the St. Louis River in Duluth is another option in the fall. end of august through the fall. the bay in Duluth is a good place to go in the fall. good luck

The problem is when to go. Big pike love cold water and are willing to be shallow when it's still cold. Is your boy going to be ok being in a boat when it's cold and you're on big water? If so, a great place/time is Rainy Lake around MN walleye opener. The last two times I've been up we've caught pike over 35" one being just under 40" and 18lbs. There are much bigger fish up there too!

We just catch them walleye fishing. We lose a lot of them and I'm sure if we caught everything we hooked, we'd have bigger ones in the photo books.

Where ever and when ever you go, it will be a blast catching them for the both of you. I still remember being in the boat with my dad and trying to hand over the snoopy pole because I thought the fish would pull me in smile Needless to say, he wouldn't take the rod and I ended up catching the pike. It was only 24", but I thought it was a trophy!

I would recommend Lake Sallie and Lake Melissa in the Detroit Lakes area. The down side is that there is not any resorts on these two lakes anymore. These lakes have had a protective slot for about 15 years. We fished Melissa several years ago toward the end of June. When we finally found the pike we had excellent fishing. It was the best pike fishing I have had in Minnesota and I have fished Red, Mille lacs, and Rainy.