• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Panfishing Big or Mitchel Lakes?

fishface5

I have fished Mitchell for the last 5 years and have good luck at times. The lake seems to go through ups and downs. When I first started fishing the lake there were plenty of crappies, and good size. I do a lot of catch and release but unfortunately there are crowds of fishermen who probably don't. I released a 14 incher, some 13's and a lot of 12's so I know there's some left. There is an ovepopulation of northern pike which you will find out fishing for panfish (snapping lines). The sunfish are stunted but plentiful. Some old timers who live on the lake told me of how they used to go out and catch bucketfulls of big sunnies all year. And they honestly say they don't know why they can't catch any big sunfish anymore. I think that catch and release on such small lakes is critical to pass on good genetics. Still there are a few nice fish in there. Also worth noting are Largemouth Bass. There are some hogs in there that can be occasionally coaxed into biting in the winter. God Luck.

Thanks for letting those big crappies go! I let everthing (crappies) over 10" go. In the open water season I have very little trouble finding them, but I just haven't put the effort in on the ice. Maybe this year. You're right about the sunnies, the dominant year class was getting close to acceptable size this fall, maybe next season. One good thing is that on nice days it is such an absolute zoo out there with the ski heads that not much catching gets done.

I got to drill a bunch of those j c holes last year, but didn't get to fish. Oh well. I know there are some good crappies in there, it's just, where the bleep do they go in the winter? If you guys are interested in a search and find mission, let me know. Two or three guys in a systematic search should be able to get somthing going... No? Good luck out there.

Ahhh
A fellow Big Laker.

I have ice fished Big Lake once only. That was last year for the Big Lake Jaycees ice fishing contest. I don't remember the total number of fisherman, but not a single panfish was caught. I was shocked. I even tried for some dink panfish, just to try to get a fish on the board. No luck.
Granted the area roped off, wasn't the greatest panfish location. Or at least not what I would have chosen if I were fishing panfish.
Oh well it was fun anyway.

I never ice fished it, but I lived a couple of blocks from the Mitchell access for a while and rowed Mitchell often. I had decent panfish-n-bass luck jigging along the weed edge of the west shore of Mitchell, in about 10'-20' of water. The weed forest seems to stop when the bottom gets to 20' or so.
Neighbors also told me that the channel ice is never safe to drive on.

Rob

[This message has been edited by Aquaman01 (edited 01-01-2004).]

I fished it today, and all I caught was a ton of 5 inch sunnies. I moved to the crappie spot, and many lookers, but no takers, its a night bite there. then I went over the pennisula to big lake, out to the deeper area, and also got some lookers, but no takers. the funnie thing is on big lake, the fish would come of the bottom to my jig, then would shoot to the bottom the fastest I have ever seen. I am thinking of trying this spot for wallys very soon.

I have been on Mitchel for most of the winter because it is two blocks away and I have caught lots of Pike and Sunnies, but no Crappies this year. I was wondering if anyone knew the magic depth? i have heard 18' to 20'.