• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

No Vex-Suspended fish

LaVoi

Without having a Vexilar, what is the best way to go about finding where the fish are, related to the bottom. I know crappies and gills will often feed suspended off the bottom. So what is your guys best method to finding how far off they are. Do you just start a foot or two down the hole and move your bait down in increments. Sure wish I had a vex, but it is that much more rewarding when you do find them. Thanks for any suggestions.

[This message has been edited by LaVoi (edited 12-11-2003).]

lavoi, use two poles set them at you're usual starting depth. i set one at a foot the other at two. then just start going up a foot or two every 15 minutes with one pole.if you're in really deep water you may want two speed this up. and if you start getting fish move them both. this way you can experament with one and if there not suspended you still have a chance on the bottom. the one thing that i have found is that if you do find suspended fish they are usually aggressive and will smash a little jigging spoon like a bass. if you like catching suspended crappies (i know you sead you like the reward of finding them with out a flasher) but it sure saves alot of time. and i can honestly say i catch more fish with my vex..

Say if your fishing in 30 feet of water. All in all crappies could be on the bottom up to 15 feet. In my experience most are no more than 10 -12. Set a minnow line say 2-5 feet of the bottom and watch your float or rod. Then with another rod with a jig, waxies, or euros, jig the water column until you hit fish.

In my experience the fish that suspend up from the fish on the bottom are the ones most active. And I like to try to catch these because your not ripping them thru the fish near the bottom. And remember crappies like to feed up mostly, but will hit bait head on. Most will be caught feeding up.

Good Fishin,

Trapper

[This message has been edited by protrapper (edited 12-11-2003).]

Years ago, before ANYONE had a vex,(lol) I would set a deadstick with the minnow and float. On the second rod, I'd start with a jig/waxie by dropping it to the bottom and pinch on a tiny piece of the foil chewing gum wrapper material at the water line. Very slowly on a tight line I would reverse jig, jig while lifting the line up and NOT letting it drop again...just a very slow methodical lifting. I'd do this several times through about two feet of water and the lift the line marker a couple of feet and repeat. And on and on upward until I'd get to the top. If I had no hits,I'd assume the fish were not there or were very neutral in mood. Perhaps a move would be in order. If I got a fish or two at a set level, I'd pull both lines and lay them side by side on the ice and adjust the float line and minnow to be the same or slightly shallower than the waxie line. The key was to lift the jigging line ever so slowly as to not allow any slack or loops to show. When the hits came on a fairly tight line they would show as slck( upward hitting fish) or you'd just feel the "tick" on your line(hitting head on). Today instead of foil or anything like that on the line I simply slide the smallest rubber bobberstop I can find on the line. They are quick and last for most of the season. If you decide to use that rod with a slip bobber, the stop is already there, just add a bead. Hope this helps.

------------------
Sure life happens- why wait....The Crapster....good fishing guys!
[email protected]

LOL-That was a good one Scott. I hope once I get out of college and start making some money instead of spending it that one day I will be able to get a Vexilar and while you mentioned it Scott a camera as well. Thanks everyone for the tips. I may have to try some of them.