• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Panfish thru the ice

CrappieJohn

I know that in the Duluth area there are several smaller lakes that are known for thier panfish during the summer months. Go to those when the ice has formed and follow the crowds. You sunnies are generally down deep and very close to the bottom. If you have a vex or similar tool, USE IT WITHOUT FAIL. The sunnies are good at swimming right up to a bait and spending the next four hours looking at it, but not hitting it. This happens most to those who either do not have any electronics or those who do but fail to use them appropriately. That goes for any kind of fish. Check out bait shops for info and throw a post out on the Duluth forum to Northlander, Stfcatfish, Surface Tension, or Chunkytrout....all of these dudes are very knowledgable about your home range and can point you to specific waters. From there look for deep weedlines and other late season sunfish haunts. Remember, they don't just automatically migrate to a wintering grounds...it is a gradual thing. So if you fish first, or very early, ice look for sunnies where you caught them last in open ,cold, water

------------------
Sure life happens- why wait....The Crapster....good fishing guys!
[email protected]

Fishing for gills through the ice can be very fun, fast, and rewarding. Early ice will produce hot action for gills in the shallow bays leading into the primary weedline/drop-off. Look for still standing weeds and pockets, fish will be there. Soft bottom basins will work as well. Depths may also vary, gills may be in 3 feet all the way to 20 or deeper during early ice. Fishing for gills through the ice can be difficult at times, as Tom stated, but when they ar active, as they are often during first ice, they will bite on a variety of presentations. Small ice jigs, teardrops, flies, etc. tipped with maggots/wax worms will do the trick. I've had the best success with horizontal presentations as of late for gills through the ice. Punch a lot of holes and keep moving if fish are hesistant, they will eventually bite. And like Tom said, gills will gradually move deeper and become more finicky as the winter moves on. But still readily available and catchable. Focus on early ic first, I'm sure midwinter will be descibed shortly in future posts.

Another option for tipping your small jigs is Bio Bait made by Catch-n Tackle. Bio Bait is made up of real bait parts and lasts a lot longer on the hook. The wax worm/larvae version is going be hot this winter. Can't wait to use it!

Good Fishin,
Matt

[email protected]
Catch-N Tackle

[This message has been edited by MJ5 (edited 10-30-2003).]

If you are new to fishing Gills in the winter, this is my advice to you:

1) Stick to lakes that are "typical" producers during the winter.

2) Fish the early AM hours and Later PM hours

3) Start with Shallow weeds and points early in the year.

4) Move to deeper water as it gets later in the year and later in the day

5) Pick up some proven hooks (Genz Worm, Marmooska's, Rat Finke's etc.)

6) Tip them with a wax worm.

7) Talk to others that fish the lakes you do

8) Get a flasher like and LX-3 to narrow down you search time, and increase your hook-ups.

9) Be persistant and patient...finding the fish is half the battle, getting them to go is the other.

10) Put back the big ones and keep the smaller ones to eat

11) Good Luck!

------------------
Mille Lacs Guide Service
www.millelacsguideservice.com

To get ya started hit Chub Lake or Bear Lake by Barnum for Pannys. Hit the weed edges and rock to sand transitions on Chub. Shorelines on Bear. If ya fish the hole to the east of the Island on Bear you will get Crappie too. I have maps of both if ya need. Also Caribou can be good. [email protected]

I approach gills about the same as I approach a school of Crappies.

I like to use a small (1/32oz or smaller) jigging spoon, and tip it with a couple of maggots, typically a red and white combo to get a little contrast going.

I like to use the jigging spoon because it draws the Gills' curiousity very well, and also has the treble hooks which increases my hooking percentage.

Gills are notorious for their ability to inhale/exhale in the blink of an eye. The treble's just help me get em' in the lip that many more times.

------------------
Good fishing,
UJ
[email protected]

Those small spoons are awesome for icing some early ice panfish. You can get the lure down fast to the school and the action the spoon produces triggers a lot of strikes. I also tag a lot more larger fish at early ice using spoons. The new 1/16 oz Glow Devil is a good example of a small panfish spoon. Small Kastmasters, pimples, rattle spoons, and most any other small spoons will work as well. I plan on using the 1/16 oz Glow Devils in glow red tipped with maggots for some early ice crappie action. Can't wait!

Here's a link to the Glow Devils if anyone is interested:

http://tacklecity.com/glow-devil.html

Good Fishin,
Matt

------------------
[email protected]
Catch-N Tackle and Bio Bait
MarCum

Any time during the ice season, but especially late they will be deep on alot of lakes, although not always true. I have one lake in mind where all winter long the panfish stick under a bridge in 6-10 ft of water. Only place Ive found them on that lake.
On my favorite lake, which is small and shallow, they all hit the deepest hole most of the year, or at least the main schools. I like to punch a hole, and locate the fish as fast as possible, if ive hit the right area, ill punch a line of holes over whatever structure I'm fishing, and move until I find some big fish. I don't use a vex, but I find my approach always finds me some fish.
As far as lures, I have my best luck with small ice jigs(pink is my personal favorite for gills) tipped with either euros or waxies. I do often find that they will have a noticeable preference for one bait or the other, so I find it beneficial to bring both.