• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

New rifle question??????

If he doesn't already have a gun-cleaning kit that will work, yes. Maintaining any machine is important.

I shoot the plain-jane Federal bullets in 150 grain out of my .30-06, and have never had any complaints about performance/ power. Also, they zero at 25 yards and again at 200 yards, so you can basically put the sights on the vitals and pull the trigger out to about 225 or so. Which is kind of nice... They're also way cheaper, which means more practice rounds.

I shoot the 150 gr 7mm Rem Mag Fusions. They shoot very well out of my rifle, 1 inch groups at 200yds. My only beef with them was an interesting experience with their terminal performance last year. I shot a deer a little over 40 yards away and I had an entrance wound I could fit my fist through and no exit wound. Never could figure out what happened. Did the job though, deer didn't go much more than another 40 yards. I plan on using them again this year and see what happens, might have just been a freak incident.

And yes, you want to get the rifle cleaning kit. I always clean my rifle every time I pull the trigger. A lot of times I clean it even when I don't shoot it if I have it out in the field. Moisture and dirt will do a number on the gun. Also with a new rifle, you'll want to "break in" the barrel. I I cleaned the bore after every shot for the first 5 or so shots and then every other until I had it sighted in.

I have a 700 in 30.06, also shoot Federal fusions. Very accurate round for me. Clean it before you shoot the first time. You'll be surprised how dirty it is from the factory. I really like mine.

I have a Remington Model 700 in .270. I have never shot anything but Federal Fusions out of it. Either 130 or 150 grains. I am with all of the previous posters. Not only does he NEED a gun cleaning kit, but I would recommend cleaning it every time uses it, regardless of whether the trigger is pulled or not.

If you guys can find remington corelocks for your caliber try them you might be surprised and the preform flawlessly. Another bullet I had really good results with were the trophy bonded bear claws I think remington makes them, but man do the hold up.

My wife shot a doe with those bear claws it was a down hill shot comeing at her and she hit it right between the shoulder blades, when I went to gut it I cut belly between the back legs and the bullet rolled out into my hand. Perfect mushroom and still retained all it's weight. Make sure you don't shoot them thru a auto their too hot and will cause problems the warning is written on the box

+1 for the Core-Lokt. I've shot 150 grain PSP and 180 grain SP from my 308 and they've always done the job. Never tracked a deer more than 40 yards. The 180 makes a bigger hole though, not sure if that's good.

I recommend a hard gun case, a cleaning kit and a gun safe.