• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

What to look for in an AR? Varmint/target shooting

Lately I've been torn between shopping for a handgun or getting an AR style rifle.

I've sort of decided on shopping for the rifle since it will have more than one use including for hunting. They are also more versatile.

So, being a complete newb to the carbine guns, where does someone begin? I try to learn as much as I can here, but people start talking about bull barrels and uppers and lowers and my head starts spinning. Are there any companies that make a decent complete gun that is quality enough for varmint hunting, but won't break the bank. I'd like to stay under $1000. I realize that's tough, especially considering the price of good glass, but when I see a good box rifle from savage or t/c or Tikka for the $500 range I have to believe its possible.

Olympic Arms, K8, 20" stainless steel barrel, 1:9 twist. should be able to get one for under 800 bucks, leaves enough money for scope rings and almost a scope (I have the burris 3-9x40 with balistic plex and it works well. I wished I had gone for the 4-12 though) Mike Mili in the Brainerd area is who I bought mine from. On the AR forums he goes by Dtech. His business is called Dedicated Technologies and I have sent two other friends to him for their AR's. Olympic makes most of their components like the recievers and barrels. most companies order these parts and slap their name on them. DPMS makes a great model too.

Yes the bull barrel is not light, but it is not like you are lugging around a 50 cal. Barret. I find the extra weight helpful when shooting off of sticks, off hand it is a little barrel heavy though.......

Are there any companies that make a decent complete gun that is quality enough for varmint hunting, but won't break the bank.

Rock River Arms offer different models for the hunter such as the Coyote Rifle, Varmint Rifle, and Predator Pursuit (which I have and is the lightest of the three). Unfortunately they are a tad outside of your budget parameters. Great rifles though.

edit: Just checked the HSOforum where I ordered mine (from Texas) and they are having a sale on the "hunter" line of RRA's that I mentioned above. $969 for the Predator and Varmint. Free shipping and scope mount, plus no sales tax either!!!

Olympic Arms, K8, 20" stainless steel barrel, 1:9 twist. should be able to get one for under 800 bucks, leaves enough money for scope rings and almost a scope (I have the burris 3-9x40 with balistic plex and it works well. I wished I had gone for the 4-12 though) Mike Mili in the Brainerd area is who I bought mine from. On the AR forums he goes by Dtech. His business is called Dedicated Technologies and I have sent two other friends to him for their AR's. Olympic makes most of their components like the recievers and barrels. most companies order these parts and slap their name on them. DPMS makes a great model too.

Yes the bull barrel is not light, but it is not like you are lugging around a 50 cal. Barret. I find the extra weight helpful when shooting off of sticks, off hand it is a little barrel heavy though.......

Like this one?

DSCN1231.jpg

That is my K8 Oly. I topped it with a 2.5 x 10 Cabelas alaskan scope. I don't do it justice. I will say that with the scope and a full 20rnd and it does get heavy. I picked mine up new for just shy of $750. I think the scope was close to $300 but worth it for me. But scopes can break the bank if you let them.

K8 or K16 (the 16" carbine version of the 20" k8) would be my choices. IMO They are by far the most accurate off the shelf ARs out there for the money.

Powerstroke, if you can head up to Becker and check out Element Arms you will probably see the largest selection of AR style guns in the area and the guys there will give you all the information you could ever need, they have more combined experience in the AR world than most firearm sales people have total, also, the prices are hard to beat (including ammo and other supplies). While you're there stop next door and see the me in the gunsmith shop, always nice to meet a fellow FM person.

Thanks for the info guys. I just graduated from my law enforcement program and during shooting drills was the first time I had ever handled an AR. It was fantastic to handle the rifle and shoot it and experience the action of this firearm. I can truly appreciate the the popularity of these guns.

Is AR the best term to use? or something else?

ANyway, I appreciate the help so far and I will check into some of the stuff here. I know about the DPMS because a friend of mine was an engineer for them for several years. Are there some other places to read about these guns and learning how to maximize the accuracy? I know barrel twist can be a factor is choosing ammo, but I don't know why. Things like that.

ar15 dot you know, is a great resource but there is a lot of ford vs chevy vs dodge there. there are a few companys that are going with the a gas piston system like an AK47 instead of the gas system which is common on the AR platform. You will want to get a trigger for it or have a trigger job done on any stock AR firearm. I had a trigger job done on mine, my buddy but a chip Mccormick in his. I like my trigger, he loves his. I still shoot better though

Picks brings up a good point about trigger jobs, and I'm not trying to take this to a Chevy vs. Ford thing either, but you need to watch what "options" come with the different models. Rock River's price tag may be a bit higher but come with a 2-stage trigger and other add-ons like Hogue grips while other brands are bone stock. Some may want to outfit their gun the way they desire so they prefer the stripped down version and that's fine too, but it needs to be considered when comparing apples to apples.

Just something to think about when shopping around.

Since we're sharing pics, here's my RRA Predator Pursuit (bottom) and my latest acquisition, a FNH SCAR 16S:

IMAG0080.jpg

The photo makes it appear as if the SCAR is a lot smaller than the RRA, but it's really not that much shorter.

+1 for the rock rivers, I will be ordering one soon almost have enough stashed away. I have been looking and studying the different makers of this style rifle and rock river had by far the best reviews that I found. I have people telling me to get the dpms and in the same breath they tell me the triggers suck and they send them in for a trigger job or a new match style trigger. Dpms also does not guarantee accuracy they tell you that in their warranty section on their HSOforum,Rock River says 3/4 MOA at 100 yards.

Head to Becker, They can build you one with all the different combo's available ( cheaper then buying one all put together too!. Tell them what you want it for and thwey will have your head spinning like a yo-yo when you walk out, do some research then go back and tell them what you really want now. They are very helpfull. Smilin Bob, I will make sure I stop in and say howdy next time I am in there ( psst I need some bling added to mine) lol