• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Rangefinder recommendations??

BLACKJACK

Been thinking about getting a rangefinder, been holding off so far, didn't want to spend $150-300 on something that I could easily loose, also reasoned that my shots would be within 25 yards buuuuut been thinking it would be nice to range a couple of spots around the stand, so I KNOW what 25 yards is. Or if I would need to take that second finishing shot at 40 yards, I know I can make that shot, if I know the exact range.

Any recommendations at a decent price?? Would be nice to get one that compensates for the angle from a treestand. Can they also double as a binocular??

Thanks for your advice!!

I bought the 400 yard one from Wildgame Innovations for $99. It works, very accurately, and the price was right. So far so good with it. I really like having it and range various spots before the deer come in versus trying to do so before I'd get reay to shoot. It's like anything - a $50 DVD player will play the movie but a $150 one will provide more options and might, but not necessarily, last longer. Various companies have been making the cheaper rangefinders for years now and they keep selling them so they must be OK. Also, I use mine as monocular or whatever. Helps me get a better view though not as good as my binoculars. Good luck!!!

I found the Leupold 600 on sale for $169 at Cabela's a couple of years ago. Use it alot and it works great. It's even fun to work on your yardage estimation skills and check them during slow times of a sit.

if all you want is to range a few shots from a permanent stand set up, just pace off the distances to certain landmarks, you should be good to go

thats what I do anyways... but, I also have a rangefinder in the back of my mind.

here's a question though - if you're 20 feet up a tree, on a hillside, wouldn't the rangefinder be ranging "long" if you are looking downhill? ie your shot might be 20 yards but the "hypotenuse" you measured with the rangefinder might say 25 yards

here's a question though - if you're 20 feet up a tree, on a hillside, wouldn't the rangefinder be ranging "long" if you are looking downhill? ie your shot might be 20 yards but the "hypotenuse" you measured with the rangefinder might say 25 yards

Exactly. Same goes for uphill. Problem is, what's the angle? The steeper the angle, the "longer" the shot.

I'm really glad I spent the extra $ for the angle compensation since I hunt bluff country some of the season.

if all you want is to range a few shots from a permanent stand set up, just pace off the distances to certain landmarks, you should be good to go

Problem is that I have about 10 different stands, unless you'd goto each stand, pace off and and mark 25 yards, you'd soon forget what you paced off.

I'm thinking that it would be good to get to a stand, range 20 and 30 yards, then you'd be good to go.

Was out to Cabelas HSOforum looking, like the Bushnell Chuck Adams version and the Nikon Archers choice, both have good reviews.

This is my first year trying archery and decided a rangefinder would be quite helpful in my success. I also didn't want to spend very much as I soon found out archery is expensive!! After I bought the bow, arrows, broadheads, camo, and etc. I shoot out of a 21 foot treestand so I wanted the ARC as well to compensate for the angles. I ended up purchasing the Nikon Archers Choice. I liked the read-out when I ranged things it was easy on my eyes and very clear. I also like the button because it reads everytime and as you move it from tree to tree it keeps adjusting the ranges while you hold the button down. The only downfall if any with this rangefinder is it only ranges out to 100 yards. I went back and forth on this dilema but decided I was buying it for archery and was never going to take farther than a 40-50 yard shot. I think it retails for around $270 but at scheels they had it for $230 plus a $60 mail-in rebate. Hope this helps.

Thanks Kujo!! Nice to get a review on one of the ones that I was considering. Can I ask you which store you went to and how long ago?? I looked online and the price was $260, no rebates mentioned.

Still, this price is why I haven't bought one in the past.... Yikes!!!!! Also, reading thru some of the reviews of the different rangefinders, theres a few that all of a sudden stopped working after a few years!!! That would be a low blow when you spend that much!!

Then yesterday I get my Cabelas bill and in the flyer they sent with, some of the hunting boots that I like are on sale. Always something!!!

I bought it at the scheels in Sioux Falls Sd on the friday before minnesota archery opener so must of been Sept. 16th I believe. I know $260 is quite a bit of money but I would still honestly buy the Archers choice for that price after using it the few times I have been out hunting as long as the 100 yard max range isn't a problem for you. It just seemed at cabelas and scheels every rangefinder under $200 didn't have the ARC and if you wanted the ARC everything was $300 or much more. But then again I was in panic mode since archery was the very next day. So I guess just shop around and read reviews haha. By the way I see them Halo rangefinders advertised on tv quite a bit and they look affordable don't know if they have the ARC though? Something to look into .

I have a Nikon Prostaff 550 and love it. Couldn't be more simple to use and is well-built and very reasonably priced. I have gone to Nikon for almost all my optics now and don't plan on switching. They are every bit as clear as some of the higher end Leupolds I've owned.

I have the Bushnell Scout ARC 1000 and it's awesome. I skipped the Leupold rangefinders because the button made a clicking noise. Maybe they fixed that issue by now. With the ARC 1000 I'm comfortable shooting the bow a lot farther. It also has preset ballistics for rifles. It tells me how high I need to hold on longer shots (after matching my zero and loads to the preset). I don't remember how much it was but I did a lot of research before buying and I determined that one to be the best for me.

If your only using it for archery, you dont need ARC. It's a sales gimmick. If you calculate being 20 feet in the stand and take a30 yd shot the difference is only 1yd.

I don't agree with this, I have a few stands that are high and shooting down into the river bottom some of the ranges are 5 to 15 yards less which is a big difference with a bow.

I bought a Nikon Archers Choice from Fleet Farm for $225 with a $60 mail in rebate 2-3 weeks ago. You get what you pay for. For me, I tend to take care of expensive items a little better. Great rangefinder!

Sounds like Nikon must have had a special rebate deal going, wish I could find one like that!!! You snooze you lose!!!

Do you know how to trig out your yardage? I have a hard time seeing a45 foot difference in shooting level to down hill.

A squared + B squared = c squared and take the squre root of c and that should be the distance. Been years since math class but I do belive it's right.

I just use my range finder with ARC to tell me the distace to aim for now and it works everytime.

My range finder doesn't have arc, but I just range a tree straight out at my height and compare it to the base of a tree. Maybe a yard difference... however I hunt pretty flat wooded areas.

I Don't need the arc. I have the cheapest Bushnell ($120?) And recently picked up the Redfield for $169.

I have an inexpensive one I bought for $88?. I can see through it just fine. Seems to be repeatable, most of the time. But when I was at the range the other night, they had 3D targets at ranges of 20-50 yards or so. For some reason, the target at 40 yards seemed to move back and forth about 3 yards or so depending on when I ranged it. Either that target came to life or the repeatability of the unit suffers just a little bit. Still, it is way better than my own reconing of woods ranges.

Still haven't jumped on a rangefinder yet, the $200+ gets kind of spendy, for something that may fall out of your pocket or quit working after a couple of years. Looked at a cheaper Simmons, still debating, would be nice to have the angle compensation... Thinking of waiting until Cabelas come out with a special deal for purchases over x amount.