• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Need Fall Advice

OK, so I've had the same late September situation for a couple of years now: I'm able to find fish throughout the summer, even if it's just a few hammerhandles during the hot weather. But we get into late Sept/early Oct and I get skunked. I usually hit deeper weedlines with spinnerbaits, and work my way up to shallower weeds with spoons or small spinners. Nothin'. Water temps are around 60, and I'm in very clear water on Minnetonka. I've heard it's hit-and-miss in the fall, so maybe I'm just hitting the bad days. Any tips for this time of year? Thanks!!

i dont fish minnetonka, just too busy of a lake for me although it has a great fisherie. big pike love COLD water. they will also come in shallow in the fall to put on the feedbag. spinnerbaits, spoons, larger cranks, and live sucker rigs will all work. fall and early in the season along with hard water is the best times of the year for larger pike.

my largest northern came on a crappie jig and crappie minnow [just over 22 pounds]. be nice if i targeted the pike but i didn't. that same day we had tip ups out with large suckers. nothing. all the pike were on small presentations. fished all my life and you would think you know it all. i dont, always learn something new. but in general in the fall i would fish the weedlines, humps, and shoreline breaks. the last time out i saw two large pike swimming in 8 feet of water. there were three of us and all had different lures. they showed no interest.

so dont worry about haveing some bad days, we all do regardless of experience. a lot of it is also confidence in what your using and the lake your familiar with. where there is bait there are predators. good luck.

Feeding is sporadic until the water temps hit that magical number, then the fall is GO TIME ! We just got a cold front in and snow in the forecast so I am really hoping to see 59 degrees this weekend. I don't know about your waters but out here the big fish are most active in water temps of 55-62 outside of that range and they are less active. Fall is also the time I love throwing the big stuff as once they start feeding they are trying to pack on as many pounds as possible for the winter months.

In warmer pre fall water I like to fish deeper where the water is near 60 degrees or less. I also like to find steeper drops where the fish can feed shallow but quickly return to the depths.

Water temp was 57 when we hit the water this weekend and we were bangin fish in 5'-8' of water on swimbaits. As the water warmed the fish gradually slid out to 15'-20'. 2 of us boated over 30 fish on Sunday, nothing huge landed, 11 pounds was the best of the day, but they were definitely feeding.

In reference to pike being deep, cold water lovers--what's the story on pike who live in creeks? I would like to fish Elm Creek in Maple Grove, it is fairly small and shallow, but I have seen people pull pike, sunfish, carp, etc. out of it. It is downstream of a dam and upstream of a lake. Are there areas (such as sidepools, curves in the river) that I should target as they may hold pike?

my take on a creek as you describe would be that there would not be large pike in there. there may be during the spring when some pike go into streams and shallows to spawn. otherwise i would think small pike may be in the creek you describe depending if there are deeper pools in the creek. i have heard the same thing about that creek from a former co-worker of mine, but it was very early in the season when people were after crappies. good luck.

In reference to pike being deep, cold water lovers--what's the story on pike who live in creeks? I would like to fish Elm Creek in Maple Grove, it is fairly small and shallow, but I have seen people pull pike, sunfish, carp, etc. out of it. It is downstream of a dam and upstream of a lake. Are there areas (such as sidepools, curves in the river) that I should target as they may hold pike?

Work them the same way you would trout: Look for the holes, and pay attention to the flow of the water. The fish will try to lie where that are fighting the least amount of current while have instant access to the food the current will bring by.

The difference between pike and the trout is that the pike may be set up to feed on the trout....

We have no problems right now catching pike, also fish clear water and been getting them on mag dawgs, dive and rise jerkbaits, and gliders like hellhounds and phantoms...on weedlines or over top of the weeds, most are hitting at or near the boat.... Also seeing many more follow that break off near the boat but mainly smaller fish then... Muskie baits catch lots of pike and bass and walleyes to, caught a 3 pound largemouth on a 11" double 10 bladed bucktail Sunday....Every now and again a sumo smallie as a bonus...