• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Who has got their Doe for the season?

SartellMN

Have had multiple opportunities several times this week on mature does but waiting for a buck since I only get one tag. That said, I may take a mature doe if my son is with me. I don't need a huge buck, a nice mature doe will "do," but for me, I didn't want hunting to be over either if I thought I'll have more opportunities this season. Good luck.

That having only one tag puts a whole different light on things, forgot what that was like. I hunt in the metro area and can take several does. Makes waiting for a decent buck so much easier.

I know DonBo. When I started hunting about 7 years ago, I got the all season license and thought this was great, a doe early and hold out for that buck. It was great and I didn't realize how quickly the regs would change. Hopefully they can change that quickly back but we've been lottery for quite a few years now. The area to the north is managed so hopefully we could change some year as well. I'm not griping so much about not being able to plug a doe right away. It's just so tempting when there are so many does on my neighbor's farm. I may have to take one, though, if we get a good one in range with my 7 year old when he goes out with me this next week. Just to get him to partake in the whole experience. I know its not supposed to be about the kill but ultimately it is if you want to get the kid interested, which he is!

I also hunt the metro so that does make it a lot easier to wait for the big boy being able to take several does. Im about a 3 mile walk out on public land though so that makes me think twice about taking one sometimes but once I start having a few more days in the woods Ill be taking one or two to relieve the itch in my finger then I wont have that itch come october and november and I can wait for the big one then. Also camp ripley this year so it will have to be a giant for me to take a buck before then

Monday morning at 7:30 I let loose on doe at 30 yards. No dice. She was wary and I think I should've waited for her to get into the woods at 22 yards instead of in the CRP at 30. She ducked the string. A first for me.

I was hunting a managed area and was willing to tag out with a doe and would have probably taken any 110+ plus buck with 4 on a side last weekend. As it was I had a 4 pointer giving me every possible opportunity I could ever ask for from 22 yards to 2 for about 15 minutes. I took a few shots with the digital but they're blurry.

4 deer total in the lanes for the weekend. No tag filled.

The first time out (Monday PM) I had a doe come in at 25 yards and couldn't pass up the shot. Double lung shot and a pretty easy recovery. Saw 2 more does and a small 6 and a smaller 8 pointer after I shot the doe. Pretty lucky first time out for the area I hunt.

Its nice to have a doe in the freezer. I might purchase one more bonus tag this week, haven't decided yet. If I don't shoot a buck during the bow season it makes the rifle and muzzleloader seasons more enjoyable in my opinion.

I have had opportunity each time out except Sunday morning and have not fired a shot. I don't usually shoot does the first week to keep that edge as long as possible. It is a long season and I am hunting three states, no need to be in a hurry just yet.

Not yet for me. Only been out once, passed on a young doe and a 6 point buck.

First mature doe that comes by will be getting a "Rage thru the Cage"!

Wife came close to closing the deal last night, doe would not clear the brush to get a clean shot. She said she was at full draw for a while.

I am actually looking more for that than me putting one down, unless of course Mr Big walks by.

My son has spent the first 2 weekends of the Iowa youth season letting small bucks walk...hoping for something special. This past Saturday night he decided it was time to take the edge off and fill a bonus landowner antlerless tag. Got it all on film, and thought this picture with the fading daylight in the background turned out pretty cool.

P1050602-1.jpg