• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

water temp vs. fish

CrappieJohn

We have seen some posts about early season crappies and pannies lately and some have dealt with water temperature and how the fish react to it. Here is a prime example of how fickle spring fishing can be. On Tuesday of this week,the lake I fish the most had a water temp of 59 degrees down to a depth of seven feet. After raining on Weds. and Thurs. and then a cold wind from the north, I could only find 49 degree water as warmest today. The coldest was 43 degrees and at seven feet the water was universally 47 degrees. Areas that were yielding fish at four and a half feet over 14 foot of water still had fish there, but they had dropped down to a depth of 12 feet and the only way I could barter a hit was to go deep with a 32nd ounce jig and 1" twister and vertically jig them... it was more just hold the bait at that depth and wait for a "tick". I didn't bother with any waxies. This just shows how a weather change or a radical temperature change can determine where to fish. Although we have had summer-like lately doesn't necessarily mean that the fish will not be far from deep familiar water. Crapster

------------------
Sure life happens- why wait

[This message has been edited by CrappieTom (edited 04-21-2003).]

Blackjack... I bought a good thermometer at GM for 10 bucks. G******s in the cities and C*****s in Owattona would be other good places to look. Or any place where they sell quality trout fishing equipment. Mine is a black body with the degree marks on the glass tube, not the body. It has a steel ring at the top to which I tie on a length of parachute cord and use a magic marker to mark every foot down to about 8 feet. The overall length is about 10 feet. When you are catching fish , take a sec to feel how cold they are, especially in warmer weather and water. If they feel quite cool coming from 5 feet of water, take the temp at the top and then again at that depth. You can generally use that second temp reading to guide you around on that same body of water that day and use it to help you find fish. If you are at the end of a bay with wind blowing into it, the warmer water will stack up and force the cooler water lower in the column, so your five foot depth may not be where the fish are actually at. They may be at 8 feet where the water is cooler. Thermometers are a big help once you start to look at how water temp and the fish correlate. Luck to you ....Crapster

------------------

[This message has been edited by CrappieTom (edited 04-21-2003).]

So now that I'm going out to buy a thermometer to read temps at depths. What would be the prime temp for Crappies to start there spawn?

I was out on a local cities lake last night & there is a spot I prefer to hit during the spawn for some after dark fishing. The water temps were reading 57 deg. at the surface then out in the main lake they were reading 49 deg. Have I missed the crappie spawn or am I early yet?
A few fish were found and felt warm to the touch so I find it interesting & helpful that you mentioned feeling the temp of the fish! smile.gif

Thanks Crappie Tom
SportFishin'

Sport....As United jigsticker indicated, the water should be consistantly warm to at least 62 degrees up to 66 degrees....each lake will have a little different character but this is about ballpark. If you can find warmer water shoreward look for some wood or weeds...anything to offer the craps some protection and food availability.You may have to fish quite tight to this stuff until the water gets to about 60 degrees, then start hitting the shallow shorelines where the spawning will occur. Try taking the temp of the water at two levels... surface and down six or eight feet. If the water is colder deeper, try to keep the bait above the cool water, you will do better. Main lake water is always prime after the spawn, so I would try to target water closer to the shore from now until after the spawn. Good fishing....Craster

------------------

Thanks for the info guys,

I now have my thermometer & will be keeping better track of the temps from what I have learned here.
At the spot I fish the lake has a dark bottomed swamp that runs into it. So it's good to know that I haven't missed the spawn and I will keep you posted with the data & my results on how it affects my situation on locating the spawning temps & weather conditions for this particular spot.

Thanks Again
SportFishin'