• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

good crappie lake in the metro area

Black Lake (on Minnetonka) was on fire for sunnies, may try Medicine for smaller crappies... Waconia is a great bet for both, but it can be a little intimadating at first.

How old are your kids and what part of metro you live in ???

Mine are 13, 11, and 10, all boys.

W_GFA

fishing addict, White Bear and Bald Eagle lakes have good crappie populations that are rather easy to locate. On White Bear there is a good spot right out from the public access. On Bald Eagle a good spot is the North end where the creek comes into the lake. You have a better chance of catching a 1 - 1 1/2 lb crappie on White Bear but the Bald Eagle spot can be non-stop action.

A lot of the smaller lakes are good panfishing lakes for kids. Nokomis has good pop. of small crappies. Good spring spot under the bridge. Minnetonka(i know, not small) is always good for gills around the channel mouths.

Green Lake in Chisago has agizzilion 8" fish. There is a 9" slot on this lake but if you want to get your kids on some fish and teach them catch and release at the same time this is a great place to start. Once the ice goes out, go through the narrows on the north side of the lake and take a quick right, find a weed bed that ends in about nine feet. Throw the bobbers to the edge and just wait, you shuold have consistent action all day. They will all be small but I've never met a kid yet that cared about that! Good luck!

Hey guys, the Mississippi backwaters near Wabasha are coming alive right now and we are talking shorefishing at it's finest. Was there today and did quite well with the crappies in the 11-12 inch range, very thick thru the back. Lots to be had! Crapster

------------------
Sure life happens- why wait

With the lack of really high water this year, the crappies are not getting pushed around by hard current. They are staying in the pools and bays where they had been caught through the ice and are feeding very vigorously. Everything from winter jigs and waxies to plain old hooks with minnows, to plastics...they are all working at one time or another. This pattern will hold together for a while, but not all spring. Now is the time to find some real championship fishing for crappies and soon the gills will begin. Some of these fish are real brutes... the kind that URL angler talk about,only a shorter trip. Later...Crapster `

------------------

Fished the back waters again today and did quite well on fish that averaged around 10.5 inches. Hit on a few that were substantially larger using plastics...they were returned to do thier thing in the water later on. I kept twenty( boarder waters limit is 25) for a big fry tomorrow, but caught a whole lot of others...lots more. It is nice to catch enough of them so that you can be "fussy". Love It. Only an hour out of the Twins...you should be taking advatage of what is here!! Crapster

------------------

If you want to just catch a bunch of fish to keep your kids interested, try Ham Lake on 65. lots of small fish and easy to catch them on just jigs.this lake shouldn't be to far from you.

The medicine lake back waters in French Park are really good early on for sunnies and crappies. CrappieTom are the backwater spots near Wabasha still pumping out slabs?
How do you get to this spot from the Twin Cities? I'm always looking for new shore spots, since I don't own a boat. I might give it a shot this weekend if I'm not too busy.

Limits... The Wabasha area back waters are still producing but have cooled somewhat from the initial open water flurry.With the construction at 61 and 494, take 52 south to 55 east to 61 south and continue down to Wabasha on 61. Take the 2nd exit into Wabasha to the Qwik Trip, turn left for two blocks, turn left again for two blocks and take a right at the Nelson, Wisc. exit over the bridge and WALLAH, two and a half miles of backwaters to fish. Where? you'll see the people. Crapster

------------------