• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Formula for Crappies?

LaVoi

Do a search on the internet, of "weigh your fish with a ruler" There are a few different conversion tables out there to get an idea of the weight of a fish. According to the table your fish were 2.2lbs. Hey those are some nice crappies!

That would make it about 1.7 lbs, that seems a little more realistic to me. When it all comes down to it the only thing that matters is how much fun did you have and how great it will taste when it gets to the plate!!

Last weekend I just caught a 14" crappie! I had my scale along so I decided to weigh it; it tipped the scale at 1.5 pounds! So far that is the biggest Crappie I have ever caught.
So the Formula is fairly close (1.7), id say the most it would be off is about 4 oz.
The fish I catch always seem to weigh less than most "weigh a fish with a rule" estimates. That’s why its nice to carry a scale along with me.

------------------
Fish, Fish, and Fish some more! ;D

Have you ever compared your scale to a certified scale at a bait shop? I know my digital scale can be off in extremely cold weather. Same with a spring scale. The spring on this type of a scale contracts and is a bit stiffer in cold weather. If I had to guess on 14" I would say 1.75 to 2.0. Crappies, perch, and other panfish can very greatly from lake to lake and season to season.

I have a gram scale. I suppose I could use that instead of my Berkley Scale.
My 14" crappie read 1.5 lbs but i think it should of been just alittle heavier like 1.8, b/c the back on it was fairly thick.
On a gram scale all you do is take: grams/454?? I might have to try that on pan fish!

------------------
Fish, Fish, and Fish some more! ;D

I've weighed 3 fish this year that were 14 3/4 inches (Jan). Each one went 1lb 15oz. (I just can't get that 2lb'er this year). It's been my experience that you need 15 inches to get 2 lbs. After reading the weights on this and other threads I am suspicious of the weights to length being reported. I have been keeping a log of all the larger crappies I have been catching and will post the results on this thread either this Sun or Monday. I am going on a Father Son outing with 12 other people so I'll get a good sampling of different sized fish. Stay Tuned.

I’ll have to go with KIDD on this one. Keep a 15” and you know it’s big enough. But if your happy with mounting the fish it shouldn’t matter what it weighed. I sure hope you weren’t eating those slabs. To follow a good rule of thumb for a nice eye is 30”. It sounds out there to catch some that big but if you put in the time you’ll get one. I released a 15” white last year that was 1# 15 ounces; so make sure it has some shoulders to it. Keep going out to the spot your in. Sounds like you’re on top of some quality. Good luck!
C&R~~~~>’)))))><

I guess after reading all of the posts the only real way to get the accurate weight is to just weigh the fish on a certified scale. The formulas work to a point to get you in the ballpark. If's it's a 13,14,or 15" slab, anyway you look at it, it's a nice doggone fish.

I have weighed a number of 14" crappies on red this year, they weighed from 1lb4oz to 1lb 9oz. In my experience you need an honest 15" crappie on red to break 2lbs. I have weighed three, all pre-spawn, early spring open water and they weighed from 2lbs even to 2lb 2oz.

All the talk of 16 to 18" crappies just isn't true, buckets of two pounders is unreasonable. Crappies are some of the most over judged in size fish in my opinion.

Don't get me wrong those 13 to14 inchers are dandys, they just arent two pounds.

GF

Well here are my unofficial, official results of crappie Weight to Length. These fish were caught on three different lakes during the month of February. They were measured with mouths closed and tails pinched. The scale is a postal scale that gets calibrated before every use using 12oz weights (and we all know what weighs 12 oz). Feel free to argue the results, add your own lengths and weights and generally just have some fun with it.

I’m not sure how well this will copy from excel into this chat room format but here goes.

Sorry, this just isn't working. I'll have to come up with some other format. I'll be back.

[This message has been edited by Kidd (edited 03-02-2003).]

I have been fortunate enough to have weighed numerous 15" to 16" Crappies, some I caught and most that others caught. One of my friends has a Normark digital and I have a Stren digital, both weight in ounces, and they are usually within an ounce of each other.
I have yet to see a Crappie smaller than 15 3/4", go 2 Lbs. Normally it takes a 16" Crappie.
If you get a Crappie or Gill mounted, they usually shrink at least a 1/2".
Nels

This is the last time I'm going to try this. Hope it works.

Well here are my unofficial, official results of crappie Weight to Length. These fish were caught on three different lakes during the month of February. They were measured with mouths closed and tails pinched. The scale is a postal scale that gets calibrated before every use using 12oz weights (and we all know what weighs 12 oz). Feel free to argue the results, add your own lengths and weights and generally just have some fun with it.

this is a sampling from a total of 69 fish ranging in length from 10 inches to 14 3/4 inches.

The fist column is the length
Ther second cloumn is the mean weight for that Length

10 - 0.11
10 1/2 - 0.11
11 - 0.14
11 1/4 - 1.00
11 1/2 - 1.00
11 3/4 - 1.02
12 - 1.03
12 1/4 - 1.04
12 1/2 - 1.06
12 3/4 - 1.08
13 - 1.08
13 1/4 - 1.09
13 1/2 - 1.09
13 3/4 - 1.13
14 - 1.12
14 3/4 - 1.15

[This message has been edited by Kidd (edited 03-08-2003).]

I know it's a little messy but I think the platform this site uses compresses multiple spaces. At any rate, the chart shows a 14 3/4 inch crappie weighing 1 lb 15 oz. A 12 incher at 1 lb 3 oz.

Hey guys,

Surfing the board and ran across this post. I understand ya'll are talking about crappie weights but have a walleye question (hope that doesn't offend - I'm missing those Alabama crappies!).

Couple of week ends ago I was up at LOW and caught a 20" and 21" walleye. The 20" was a female that apeared full of roe, so down the hole. The 21"er was thinner so figured it for a male and kept him. Whatcha reckon they would have weighed?

My bud had a 10 yr old rusted out zebco Deliar that showed the 20" at an even 2 lbs. I'm not that great of a judge, but thought it might have been a bit heavier than that. Didn't do any thing but measure the other fish.

Any thoughts?