• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Best Bluegill jig (not crappie)?

chow

What are some of your favorite jigs/baits for gills?

Ran into a situation the other day where I was marking tons of fish (gills) and only managed a few. They would only take the smallest teardrop I had and only if the entire hook was completely covered with maggots. I tried everything I had in my box and in this case nothing else worked. I think downsizing even more might of helped but I already had on the smallest teardrop style jig I had not sure of the weight though? What was wierd was that some of the gill would follow it up a foot or two when I would slowly jig it and move it up but then drop back down if I held still and just look at it if I kept jigging. They would not come up more than about 2-3 feet off bottom either.

What other suggestions do you all have?

Thanks,
chow

This year it is an easy answer. The Red Glow Genz Worm or Red Glow Fat Boy. There are other great jigs out there that have there days but this has been the most consistant producer this year. Even on those tough mid-winter gills.

I like Marmooska's as well, but nothing has out produced the Red Glow for gills this year.

I would say flirty girtys and #10 teardrops custom painted to resemble lady bugs. I will also give a nod on the glow rat finkee. I witnessed quite the show put on by St croix boy one day while fishing bluegills. This lure seemed impressive I just haven't had the chance to try it yet.

I like to use the Genz and Fat boy glow jigs. There is a new jig that I am also fond of. Rat Finkee, this jig glows but also gives a slow presentation. Sometimes a slow presetation works better.

My favorite gill jig is a green and chartruse marmooska jig w/ a waxie or the smallest crappie minnows in yer bait bucket. I use the marmooska 98% of the time when I'm chasing gills. When things are really tough, I break out some #12, 14, or 16 dry fly hooks and put a few wraps of lead wire on them, again w/ a waxie or smallest crappie minnow.

Brian

I have had good luck with the flirty girty jigs too. I also like the marmooskas as well. For open water I don't think you can beat a pink/white flu-flu with a little chunk of nightcrawler. ><>
deadeye

I have had luck with alot of lures. #12 hook size works well. when they are light biters, I find one to two maggots(spikes) works well. A crane swivel about 1 foot above the lure helps to keep the bait from twisting. If you ever have the chance to watch a gill bite, they wait until the bait is stone still mostly. Also, I don't care how good you are with a vexilar, sometimes you cannot tell when they have it in their mouth. I was fishing clear water and had a vexilar. I watched my noodle rod closely when my screen turned red and could not tell he was there. I looked down the hole and the whole lure was in the fishes mouth.