• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

different chokes for different types of hunting question

Well I decided against the Mossberg, I found myself a nice used Browning BPS at a gunshop for a good price. I got 2 choke tubes with it, an Improved-modified, and a modified. Im curious as to what you guys use for chokes, since I have always used my bird barrel for deer hunting with my 870 I am going to use this gun as my all purpose gun also. I was thinking the

mod-imp cyl for slugs and pheasants, and the mod for ducks and geese, does that sound about right? With my 870 I used a modified for everything for about 12 years and seemed to work pretty good, but I would like some opinions on here. Any other suggestions?

Depends on how and what you hunt. But in general, for upland birds IC is a good starting point. Most birds are killed with in 25 yds of the gun and IC is perfect for that. I have a hard time understanding why anyone needs more than a Mod for upland birds. For slugs use Cyl or Imp Cyl.

I'd get an IC tube and a Cyl tube to round out the choke tube collection.

Everyone that I know of that has bought them have not been impressed. You only get 2 inches of rifling compared to 20+ inches. They will probably help stabilize the flight a little, but I don't know if you would gain enough accuracy to make the jump to sabot slugs worth it. Buy one from a store and try it, if it doesn't work, send it back. Some stores will let you do that. What kind of gun are you looking at getting one for?

As per the original question. I shoot mostly with a full choke, The modified will be a good all around choke, I have heard that the modified is best for slugs, but you might have to experiment. The improved modified is tighter than the modified so if you shoot steel shot, you might not want to shoot it in the improved modified. Did the gun come with two chokes and one in the barrel?

Everyone that I know of that has bought them have not been impressed. You only get 2 inches of rifling compared to 20+ inches. They will probably help stabilize the flight a little, but I don't know if you would gain enough accuracy to make the jump to sabot slugs worth it...What kind of gun are you looking at getting one for?

It was just idle curiosity on my part. I wasn't sure what impact the much shorter rifling would have on performance.

My only reason for asking the kind of gun would be if it were for something relatively common like an 870, I would spend the money on a whole barrel, they are easily found and rather inexpensive. If it were a gun where the barrel was as much as the gun as with some, it might be worth the money to try the rifled choke. Just don't expect rifled barrel accuracy from a choke. I think some do.