• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

dog breath

Gordie

I bought some antler chews from grateful sheds, an online store. They have good prices compared to pet stores and if it still seems expensive they do last a long time and my dog loves them. I believe I ordered two 3 packs this past winter/spring from them and still have 3 left. I don't know if this will completely solve any breath prolems but it will help clean their teeth.

Looking at the other side of the coin here, an intestinal parasite called Giardia can cause bad breath in dogs. It is also linked with soft stools.

I have been fighting this with my GSP now for a couple months. It is tough to get rid of. After his medication, he cleans up for a week or two and breath smells better, but then he gets it back and its back to the vet for more meds. It supposedly comes from stale water sitting around and possibly other dogs that have it.

Just a thought.

We fought our dogs bad breath as well. We brushed him every other day, fed him "greenies" chew bones etc., but it was still horrible.

We decided to take him in for a full cleaning of his teeth a couple years ago. The Vet found that, along with a lot of build-up, he had two teeth that had to be extracted. Those teeth were most likely the culprits of the terrible breath.

We kept up with the cleaning regimen on our own, but it returned a year or so later. We took him in again and found that 5 teeth needed to go this time.

Needless to say we felt horrible, like terrible parents who aren't doing enough for their dog. The Vet assured us that some dogs are just genetically pre-disposed to having bad teeth and that there's not a lot we can do about it.

So, in addition to the daily cleanings by you, try the "greenies" chews and the "Kongs". These help with tartar etc. But I'd also recommend getting a full dental check-up by your Vet. Bad teeth could be the culprit.

Wifes Jack Russell had what we called "Death Breath" smelled like something died in his mouth. About a month ago started feeding him a all natural food/grain free and it's really worked well.