• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Sneaky snakes everywhere

Eric Wettschreck

I don't know why but for the past week or so the garter snakes are everywhere!!! I don't mind, they don't bother me at all, and the dogs having a good time with them. I actually like seeing them. They eat bugs and I don't like bugs.

I'm used to seeing a lot of them in the spring, but I've never seen this many of them slithering around this time of year. And they're not tiny little fellas. These things have some size to them.

Any idea why they've all the sudden decided to show up everywhere?

i haven't seen any in this area. actualy have more salamanders which are good also. we have a ton of those little toads everywhere which is also great. you would think that is a great food source for snakes but so far haven't seen much. perhapst you have more frogs as well in your area which snakes feed on, or maby they like the smell of PBR. good luck.

Not sure what the deal was, but have seen about 3 of the garter snakes in the last two weeks, and hadn't seen any before at this house since we moved in two years ago. Not sure what it is, but like you said, if they are eating small critters and bugs, I don't mind them!!

Know that mole that has been tunneling in my lawn I am going to have to deal with.........

Our pond hatched a good number of frogs and toads this year. We are seeing them every time we walk near our flower garden. No snakes though and my muskrat problem seems to have subsided, or they've learned not to hang around one certain spot in my pond anymore... wink

Spent a few days this week in North Dakota getting things ready for this falls hunting.

Typically I see many garters in the fields and woods but no snakes, just a million frogs.

At least they are harmless garter snakes Eric.

Is there a fellow from Avoca Eric that races a sport mod? Last few weeks there has been a new fellow at Arlington and I believe they announced he was from Avoca.

pretty fast dude.