• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Another Good Group of Up and Comers

DonBo

Just finished another Bowhunter Ed class for these 12 and 13 year olds. It's so much more fun teaching kids than adults in these classes. Most adults are only in it to hunt out of state, or one of the local metro hunts. These adults for the most part think they already know it all, and SOME do, but the kids really want to learn and are pretty facinated with archery in general. It's my pleasure and honor to help them down the proper path.

P8110069.jpg

Most of these kids have never shot a bow before, and these lessons are far and away the most fun.

Thats great guys.

How does one go about setting up an archery in the schools program? I think I might want to join a few guys with the idea and get one going in the area I live . Thanks for the info guys.

It starts at the DNR. Grants come through them. I'm sure there is something in their HSOforum that will answer your questions, if you can't find what you're looking for, repost and I'm sure someone can help you.

Good luck!

I am actually starting a Centershot archery program which is based off the NASP protocol but has a biblical context. It is an awsome way to get kids into archery and expose them to Christ. The DNR grant program will not fund a Centershot program because of the biblical information but it is basically run the same as a NASP course with a 15-20 minute bible message to go along with it. If your interested in a NASP core program, talk with the DNR and see what is involved with getting a program up and running. We have the same ability as the NASP programs to take kids to local and regional qualifier shoots and can compete with our kids at a state and national level in the competitive archery formats. Local hunting clubs, state organizations like NWTF, MNDHA, QDM all have money available to get your program up and running. Startup costs are about 3500-4500 depending on the interest so there may be some fundraising to get things up and running. The beauty of the DNR grants is that they want you to share equipment when you can as part of the grant and that is how we are getting our program up and running. This first year we will be running of borrowed equipment and within the next year we hope to get some grant money and do some fundraising to buy our own equipment and continue the program. I have to say after being through a Centershot course with my son it is a Great experience even if you have shot for 20-30 years. The big advantage is that it gets your kids interested and willing to talk to you and share the experiences that they have on the range. If you want more info, pm me and I'll give you the info I have and know. Again, Great job Don on getting some kids hooked up for the future!

Tunrevir~