• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Crappies

Rick

West Wind- when would be a good time for you to take me and the wife out on Upper Red? I would love to give it a try but I have never fished there. Even a 1# gets me giddy.

• we are 'the leading edge' HSO Creators

Best early ice crappie lakes-

let's hear one of your favorite stories, how about it?

OK, i have a question for you xperts. wink.gif lol Im going to go ice fishing this weekend. Just wondering how deep should I look for the crappies this time of year? Im in the detroit lakes area. The lake is called according to this map i have the max depth is 19ft but I would ad another 5-10ft to that. Its just shaped like a a bowl, really no structure besides a hump. There is some gravel that gos out into the lake from the public access tho. other was its a clay/sand/mud bottom. thanks for your help.

Hey all you fishing nuts out there. ANYBODY have any views on using fishing scents. Does it make any sense? I would like to hear the pros and cons from anyone. Thanks

• we are 'the leading edge' HSO Creators

Is this topic worthy of it's own forum.

Let's hear from you crappie anglers.

Hey, glad to see the forum back.

I think it's worthy of its on forum although I also believe this area is off the beaten path of the more popular forums.

Perhaps combining the panfish forums and calling it "Crappies & Bluegills" or something like that may bring a little more attention and some active posting.

Just a thought,
thanks,

PCG

What if you put "Crappies & Bluegills" on the main topic board, and rename Muskies "Muskies and Pike" and name another one "Walleyes and Perch".....

Just an idea to get these topics in the main flow of things.

thanks again.

PCG

If I'm not hunting for Blue Gills I'm hunting for Crappies. I use ultra light rods reels and tackle for most of my fishing. Depending on my mood I either use a bobber or jig. I like to jig and feel the bit when it comes, but some times I like to just put my feet up and watch the bobber.
<><Mary><>

Greetings slab chasers,

Love the forum. I have really started to get into crappie fishing as of the last three years. Finally have good equipment for chasing them. I've got the daughter even involved/and loves it. One question I do have: Tis the season of warming up. Are these fish moving in shallower? I did fairly well in 10ft of water two weeks ago. I didn't complain but was somewhat baffled. I guess thats part of the hunt. Any colors work better for anybody? Thanks for help and suggestions.

Good luck chasing the slabs to all.

Crappies at this time of year school by size.

I have found alot of small suspended fish over the deeper basin areas and found the bigger ones closer to breaklines, in 20-24 feet of water.

On certain lakes, the active bite times for Crappies may change dramatically.

For example, all winter on a favorite lake of mine, Crappies could be caught all day long over 30 feet of water.

Towards late ice, the fish move up, sometimes as shallow as 14 feet, and feed in early morning and late evening into night, and the only Crappies caught during the day measure 5".

Best advice is to go to adjacent areas that they were in early winter, and work towards and area you know they are after ice-out.
Look to breaklines, points, humps, and inside turns.

Spots that hold no fish, or only perch during the day can be honey holes at dusk.
So it pays to be persistant, move around alot, and fish at different times of day.

PCG

Was up on LOW recently. I've been in that area in spring finding them in the pencil reeds preparing for spawn(sooo much fun;sometimes they're on the edges or when the pike are cruz'n ya might have to use a cane pole to extract them...BIGG'NS!) Anyways, we fished 3 days icing 100+ crappies. I'm still wondering how they detect any food in that tanic stained water. I guess it was a day bite tho! Walleye spoons work well for me when the feed bag is on. But nothing beats a couple of waxies on a Rat Finke on the tough days. I can't wait till open water. Hard to beat Flu Flu's, Tinsel Jigs, or even Marmouska's(with sunfish leaches) on those shallow sring crappie! see ya on the water...
In the Willmar area...DC