• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Shocks for my sled...

Meat-Run

Not positive, but I think those came with just typical non-rebuildable gas shocks all the way around, there may be a fox in the rear. Which is weird, cause my 98 xc 700 that I used to have 7 yrs back came with fox in the fronts, and just typical in the back. What I did with it is swap out the rear/rear existing shock with a fox rebuildable, also did this with my brothers old 2000 500. I does make quite a bit of difference with the Fox. Yours doesnt look like you have too much sag yet in the rear. When I took my rear out, there was nothing left. Where are you located? A lot of guys that rebuild shocks have shocks available for this type of application. Its not a hard job taking them out, lots of info online on how to do it. You need to pull the whole skid out. Heck, if you're close I would be glad to help you with it. Have had them out numerous times. My sledding days are over for now since my daughter was born, sold my pride in joy PRO X 7 to my brother in law 2 years ago and has only put 200 miles on it since. I WILL get her back!

There's a guy in Warroad MN that is extremely good with shock rebuilding,he worked in engineering up in Roseau for about 12 years and has since quit and started his own shock design and manufacturing company that builds his own shocks as well as rebuilds all the major brand names, he's one of the best in the business. Take your shocks off, stick them in a box and he will fix them and ship them back within 2 business days ready to go. The company is raptor shocks in Warroad. You can find his contact info and a price list on the net.

JosMN,

I'm in Brainerd and you maybe right there not branded "fox" but this is a completely different area (shocks) that i'm a novice at. The back shock I think is in worse condition its just that the suspension spring has been jacked up to the highest level, look at the bolts on the tunnel. The fronts are easier to remove then the back from what I've heard and I might pay someone to remove the back. I've heards some folks give package "deals" if you can bring in all sets and do them all at once for one set price is that normal?

mr

Yes, the rear is always the one to go first. The front rear is probably fine. It really is quite simple to take that skid out.

I'm going to copy and paste this, dont really have the time to type it all out. smile

1. Find a way to jack rear end up high in the air...hanging back bumper from a come-a-long attached to ceiling is best - until track is about a foot in the air.

2. Release all track tension ALL THE WAY, by loosening both rear axle bolts, then loosening track tensioning lock nuts, then backing tensioner bolts out until track hangs as loose as it can.

3. Remove the 4 bolts holding the suspension to the tunnel. When removing, it is not uncommon for one bolt to come loose, then the other to just spin in the hole because the inner shaft is turning with it. The best way to prevent this is to use an impact wrench for removal instead of hand tools. But hand tools can still work if you don't have an impact. If the bolt spinning problem happens, often you can resolve by re-tightening the opposite side VERY tight, then loosening the offending side. You'll know what I'm talking about if it happens to you.

4. After the 4 bolts are removed, the suspension will drop free and the whole unit will hit the ground. Now jack the back of the sled way up in the air (so sled is maybe at a 45 degree angle or so?) and muscle the suspension out from inside the track. Reinstallation is reverse of above, only sometimes it's challenging to get bolt holes to line up. A helper is very valuable, and experimenting with different heights of jacking the rear bumper can often help.

Reinstall in reverse order. I usually will lay the sled on its side to put the skid back in. It can be a pain doing all of this for the first time, but will help your learn!! Wish I was closer, I would be glad to help you.

As far as pricing, its hard to say. I have never done any package deals or anything like that. I have always removed them myself, had them rebuilt, then put them back in myself. My guess is you have all non-rebuildable shocks. If I were you I would take it in to one of these rebuilders and get an idea from them on what it would cost.

JosMN,

WOW that's great thanks for posting and if I'm ambitious enough to do this I'll give it a try I might recruit my neighbor he's kind of a sled head and may know a thing or two about his process.

Thanks a bunch!!!

mr

Toughest part is getting the suspension back in and the holes lined up. Hard to explain but I took a ratchet strap to compress the suspension to get everything to line up. Its pretty simple to figure out once you look at it. I also have a chain hoist in my garage which helps to pick up the back end.

Toughest part is getting the suspension back in and the holes lined up. Hard to explain but I took a ratchet strap to compress the suspension to get everything to line up. Its pretty simple to figure out once you look at it. I also have a chain hoist in my garage which helps to pick up the back end.

The absolute best thing to do there is to unhook the torsion springs. Then you are able the move the rear torque arm where you want it. Torque the bolts in, fold the torsion springs back into the slot on the rails and you're done.

did you find a shock for it yet?

if not I know a guy that might/probably have one He sells things on the online bidding war site. but his are buy it now and if it isnt listed there doenst mean he doesnt have one as his inventory changes daily. He lives right here in town if you need better any other ?'s give me a hollar