• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

looking to move info please

1johnb

I am new to the forum . My family and I are contemplating moving to the north west wisconsin area for various reasons. I would like to know from you the members, a little about the area such as jobs etc.

I have been involed the transportation industry for 26 years we own a farm and would like to down size or put the ends closer together so to speak. My wife and I have been married 19 years we have 3 children, ages 13 11 and 7 the last our only girl.We have strong consevative christian values and hopefuly would be an asset to the area. I would most likely buy a truck and lease on with a local carrier.

I know most of you are hard working just like my self, I would appreciate what information you may pass along. pm if you want thanks john

Hopefully I can be of a little help to you. I live in northwest Wisconsin, about 25 miles from Rice Lake. This is a beautiful area, just the right mix of farmland and woods. The hunting here is excellent. Plenty of whitetails, bears, turkeys, grouse, etc. Superior/Duluth (about 1.5 hours from Rice Lake) has several large trucking companies-Halvor Lines, Jeff Foster, Sue Vinje, etc. It seems like usually every week in the local papers around the Rice Lake area there are trucking jobs with smaller companies, both long and short haul positions. Ethanol plants are becoming popular around here. There are numerous good size excavating companies locally that I can think of for trucking jobs. Unfortunately, frac sand mining & frac sand processing plants are moving into the area right now so there will be lots of trucking jobs because of it. I only say unfortunately because this is literally happening in my back yard and is affecting numerous relatives and friends. Some for it, some against it. To me this is farmland and should stay that way, so it hurts me to see this stuff coming. But enough about that. It seems like there is always jobs, from minimum wage to well-paying positions. There is plenty of factories around here. I myself work as a Paramedic and my husband is a CNC Machinist. We both have excellent jobs and are so thankful for that. We are close enough to Eau Claire (about 1 hour) for plenty of shopping and entertainment options. We are also only about 80 miles from the Twin Cities. In the small farming community I live in, people are generally hard working, honest, and friendly. This is where I grew up, on a large crop, dairy, and beef farm. Most of my relatives dairy farm. I moved away for 3 years to northern Minnesota for a medic job, found myself a wonderful husband, and we moved back here in 2007 and built our dream log home on land my parents gave to us. I love looking out my window in the mornings and seeing turkeys and deer out in the yard, or seeing a big black bear wander across the field, or stepping outside and listening to a rooster pheasant down in the woods below our house. It's just a terrific area and some of the best people I know. Beautiful rolling hills. Good luck to you with your decision. That's a long way to move. I wish you and your family all the best. If I can be of any help, please just ask. This forum has so many wonderful people on here who are more than willing to help so don't be afraid to ask questions.

I have some land near Minong, I dont live there, just relax there. As for jobs in that area, I think the logging industry is picking up again. I love the area, and plan on retiring there when I can.

Hey John:

Welcome to HSO. Great to have you here!

I loved my time living in NW Wisconsin. Gorgeous place to work and play, great place to raise a family out on the land. I was not in the trucking business when I lived there, but you've gotten a whole lot of great advice so far. Hope you came back to this thread and look in. smilesmile

I would like to thank all for the response. I have been extremely busy and haven't had time to visit. That aside we are planning to visit 9/22 -9/28? Lookin at some places in the Bloomer Sandcreek, New Auburn area. Wife cant be to far from Kohls or the Super Target in E.C. I'l bring the boat and decimate the pan fish lol. Looking forward to coming up. Thanks again. Jb