• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Boat Key Broke - Need Help

titelines

All,

I went to start my boat the other day and the key broke. I should be clear that the key itself (the part that's inserted into the key hole) did not break. The rubber/plastic housing on the key (the part that you hold onto) snapped. So now I have two pieces, the plastic part and the key part.

I can use my pliers to hold the key and start the boat, but really want to get it fixed. I figure I'll get a replacement key or two made too while I'm at it.

I went to the hardware store and they could make the key, but did not have anything to put it on. I called a locksmith and they couldn't help me. I also called an outfit that touts the fact that they do car, marine and home keys, but they couldn't help me either.

So, does anyone know where I can go to get this fixed? Going to the manufacturer is not an option.

Thanks for any/all help!

Lots going on here, so I maybe had a brain lapse.

The boat is from Armada Manufacturing, which was purchased then went out of business. The outboard is a Suzuki, so maybe I can contact them with the model # and get a couple replacements (??)

My merc had a key with a number 1B, the dealer stocks all possibilities. I don't know about Suzuki, but it wouldn't surprise me if they don't do the same. Look on the key and see if it is marked somehow.

I'm not undertsanding what broke, all of our boats just use a regular looking key, but then again all are mercs. If the hardware store can cut the key why wont that work for now untill you can fin an original?

I think they didn't have the proper blank key.