• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Oil-To-Gas Ratio On My 1980 Evinrude 25?

Father Pike

Hey, fellas, just got my motor back from Twin City Outboards (highly recommended, BTW) after it sat for three previous years. It's probably because I'm getting old, but, for the life of me, I can't remember how much two stroke oil to mix with the gas. My brother says, "50:1, you moron", but I want to be sure. Your thoughts will seal it. It ain't that I don't trust him, but he drinks.

smilesmilesmile

interesting. i have a Chris Craft Challenger motor. dont know what year it is. have to put the gas in the tank on top of the motor. very good shape and seems hardly used. would this also be 50:1 or the 24:1 as you mentioned. thinking of putting it on the 12 footer just to try it out.

it was given to me by a person who moved out of state. he never used it and it was given to him by an elderly person who gave fishing up. good luck.

I am pretty sure a '57 Evinrude 15hp that I just gave to a buddy had 32:1 printed on the sticker on the cowl. But I am not totally sure, but pretty sure. I wonder with the new and better oils if a guy couldn't get away with 40:1 or something just a bit less, but not a full 50:1. Don't want a blown engine though, thats for sure!

Mixing it a little rich isn't really that big a deal either if you are worried about it.

You break-in a new motor with a rich mixture and I wouldn't be afraid to run a motor thats sat a little while with a richer mixture as well. You can then start leaning it out to 50:1. I have an 84 Johnson 60 that I run 50:1, and I use the Johnson/Evinrude XD30 oil (its Red).

LOL!!!!i'll go check on the motor if it says anything regarding mixture. the motor looks well maintained. even the prop doesn't have a nick. i was just going to go 50-1 and may do so anyway. hasn't run in many years. if i remember right it doesn't have reverse on it. the motor rotates so you would grab the handle and turn the motor in the opposite direction. good luck.

Those of us who've melted motors understand mixing rich is a nice insurance policy.

Yeah been there done that, now I'm on a fresh rebuild of my early 80s Johnson. Motor has never run better now. I'll say this though, Amsoil ain't going anywhere near that motor again. Not sure if it had anything to do with it but 1 burned down motor is enough to make you reconsider things.