• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

bracing a tree

bucketmouth64

One of my ash trees was tilted over from last weeks storm. Roots are still in the ground. The trunk of the tree is about the size of a coffee can or a bit bigger. I was thinking of using a come-along to position the tree to its normal position. What would you recommend to hold the tree in place? I was thinking of some kind of wire system. I have a 6 foot metal property post that I can pound in. Anyone have other recommendations or cautions I should take? Don't want the wire to break or damage tree. How long would I have to have brace in place?

If it's an ash I would just cut it down and plant something else. The bugs will get it in a few years anyways. Then you'll just have a bigger tree to chop up. I've seen the method you're describing work in the past so if you're set on keeping it I say give it a shot. We used another tree to hold it up, not a post. We used the wire cable, left it in place for about a year and a half and removed it without any major damage to either tree. You could add a section of garden hose around the cable to protect the tree?

make sure you pound that post in good, at an angle away from the tree and attach the wire right at ground level. I'm thinking a steel "cable" might be more appropriate than a "wire"

Also good to cushion the tree from the wire (with garden hose or something.)

make sure you pound that post in good, at an angle away from the tree and attach the wire right at ground level.

Old Road Runner cartoons come to mind. I can see that post flying over houses in his neighborhood right now. grin

Thanks. I want to save the tree since I am selling/losing my house. Let the next homeowners decide what to do with it. It's a really nice large tree. What type of cable would you recommend and what would be the best way to secure the cable?

The idea of trying to stake the tree back upright should work just fine. If you've got a post set it firmly in the ground directly opposite the way its leaning. Once its upright, you can use wire or cable or whatever is strong enough and then use some tubing or garden hose where it wraps around the truck to prevent any girdling. That tree should do just fine.

I wish people would stop running away from ash trees. They are great trees and most will likely never be effected by the Ash borer. If we cut down every elm that ever grew we would be missing hundreds of thousands of mature trees. No reason to cut the trees down as some sort of preventative measure.

Thanks. I want to save the tree since I am selling/losing my house. Let the next homeowners decide what to do with it. It's a really nice large tree. What type of cable would you recommend and what would be the best way to secure the cable?

This is what I would do, but sometimes I'm a little unconventional.

1. go out 15 ft or whatever out from the trunk of the tree and drive that post you have into the ground at an angle away from the tree. I'd drive it WAY in, 3 ft or so, with a sledge hammer or post pounder thingy.

2. Drive my car or truck into the yard, with the rear end right near the stake, point away from the truck.

3. Use a big chain or strong strap (very strong). and secure from the car (ideally on the tow hitch) to about 5-6 ft up the tree.

4. Drive the car away from the tree, pulling it slightly past upright.

5. Attach a 3/8in steel cable, around the tree (with garden hose in place), secure with connector shown below. then run it down to the stake and secure there, with the same type of connector.

6. Slowly back vehicle up to release pressure on the chain/strap, transferring the pressure to the cable.

7. Unhook chain/strap, drive car back to driveway. Crack a brew and congratulate yourself for not killing yourself in the process.

as1026a.jpg

This could also be done with your come-along. but I'm always hesitant about releasing a loaded line on a come along.

And please be careful. This is only a thought. I'm no expert and shouldn't deemed to be one, so if you get hurt, I'm outta here.

Bahahaha! Would really try to salvage it though. A slightly leaning tree is more valuable than no tree at all. Also echo Powerstroke's words on not panicking about ash borer. Sometimes mother nature catches up and produces, if not outright, varying levels of resistance, which then can be used to hybrid a resistant strain. Have some incredible elms, have to be over a hundred years old, still standing; don't know if they have developed some resistance or have been lucky, regardless they are still hanging in there just fine.

The nursery wants you to cut it down because they want to sell you a replacement. I'm complete agreement with Powerstroke.

Ash trees have always been susceptible to boring insects, but this current invasive borer ain't gonna get every single one of them in the state.

A comealong will give you plenty of strength to wrench the tree back upright. I'd suggest you pull it over about 5-10 degrees too far toward the stake. Then leave it that way until it leaves out next spring. When you loosen everything, likely it'll rebound just slightly, and you'll be good to go. In fact, I'd loosen it after the leaves fall this October to see if part of one growing season is enough for it to straighten. Could be just fine by fall.

Depending on how it fell it may not be under a ton of tension. Have you tried to stand it up? Talk to the neighbor and see if they mind. Maybe they will see the value of the tree too.

As always the easiest way is to chop it down.

Ok, I am reconsidering after what you all are saying. The tree is 18 years old and close to 50' tall. Looks like I need to winch it about foot or more, is this too much? My concern is where the tree is positioned is at the west end of the house whereby all northwest/west winds come between the two houses and really pushes the tree hard. Should I consider putting in a second stake opposite from my house so that if winds come from the south or sw tree won't topple onto the house? I am thinking that if there's only one stake the tree could still sway sideways.