• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Good news about walleyes?

Bear_arm

Actually they are starting to stack up like "cord wood". Look for them in deeper water now, 26-35ft. The jig and minnow with a vertical presentation are hot and getting hotter. Live bait rigs can also be used, with a 3/8 oz-1/2 oz slip sinker. Remember that fish pulled from these depths need to get back as soon as possible if you're not going to keep them. So have the camera ready while fishing these depths. Concentrate your efforts around shoreline points and mid-lake humps. And just like Randy Moss GO DEEP!!

As Chris said, deep is the word for big walleye. Not to say that walleye will not be in shallow. Cooler water will have many walleye in the shallows. But for the real big ones, go deep. A lot of larger walleye that have access to a good forage base of schooling baifish will suspend, follow, and feed on them. 20-40' humps around even deeper water can produce trophy fish in the fall. To quote Chris again, the live bait rigs and heavy jigs are excellent. Try fishing with red tail chubs or suckers, they will catch fish this time of year. Heavy weight is needed for feel, and to keep big bait down in deeper water. Good electronics are a vital tool in locating active fish. Another method to try is trolling cranks. Night fishing at times can be worth the effort and hassle.

------------------
http://groups.msn.com/canitbeluck

Hold on a minute. Are we talkin' rivers, super clear lakes, stained lakes, northern Canada shield lakes or Southern prairie lakes? It isn't that general.....for me.

I need better specifics, that's how I operate.

Keep the rods bendin'!!
Jim w

Fall is a funny time for eye location. But in most cases we're talking deep during daylight hours and shallow during lowlight periods and at night. Sometimes very shallow at night.

But like Chris said they should really being stacking up on the deep breaks during the daytime.

I love to catch them at night pulling big cranks myself.

------------------
I bad day of fishing??? I honestly don't know what you're talking about!

Don't do rivers so can't help there. But this works great on glacier formed lakes and impoundments where current is not a driving force. Forage is the key, the schools of baitfish are out over deep water and the dropping temps signal the changing of the season. Couple this with the developement of roe and milt, the walleyes know it's time to pack on the protein. During the warmer water temps, the fish's metabolism is so high that they have to feed hard to just maintain. The cooling temps alow them to catch up and add fat for the winter when their metabolism goes the other way and feeding is more difficult. I guess what it boils down to is there is an optimal temp range when the fish feed more aggressive than any other time of the season. And nature has set things up so that these temp ranges correspond with the two most important physical changes a fish goes through, developement and release of roe and milt. (eggs and sperm)

I hope this explains things in a little more detail for you.