• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Did my charger fry my battery

Chode2235

Was out earlier this week (wed) and when I got home I plugged in the onboard charger. Didn't think much about it the rest of the week until Saturday, and noticed that the charger didnt show both of the batteries as charged and only had the one "Full".

There was definitely some warmth in the battery compartment.

I didnt get a chance to get out this weekend and try it out, but is there a high percentage that my battery got cooked? What problems might I have because of this, and is my charger shot?

Was out earlier this week (wed) and when I got home I plugged in the onboard charger. Didn't think much about it the rest of the week until Saturday, and noticed that the charger didnt show both of the batteries as charged and only had the one "Full".

There was definitely some warmth in the battery compartment.

I didnt get a chance to get out this weekend and try it out, but is there a high percentage that my battery got cooked? What problems might I have because of this, and is my charger shot?

Brand of charger? How many banks? Age and condition of batteries?

Are the leads going to your batterys fused? A blown fuse could trick a chager into thinking the battery is fully charged. OR... Not charged at all. Are these sealed batterys? If not, hows the water level in each?

Do you have a meter to check the voltages of your batterys and charger output?

My thoughts follow along with the previous posters. How old was the battery? I have seen cells in batteries fail for no apparent reason.

If you plug in the charger you should be able get a meter on it and check the output voltage. I believe it should be around 13 volts. Don't quote me on that. I would think you could go to the manufacturers web site and find out what it should be though.

My deep cycles held a charge good opener thru memorial weekend. Didn't use boat for a couple of weeks and the batteries drained fast. I had 2 cells in one of the batteries fail just out of the blue. These were 4 year batteries so I got 2 new ones.

I know i have said this before but man i wish i could get 2 yrs out of a battery. We are lucky with 14 month in this heat. The road temp on batteries especially under the hood is near 150 degrees on a hot day i could only imagine in a boat if the sun was beating on it. We cooled off today only around 112, beats the 119 on Monday. My AC quit yesterday so it was a balmy 93 in the house this am. New airhandler going in as we speak.

Sorry on to the subject, I would imagine that the bouncing in the boat from roads, waves, shocks overall can knock the plates out pretty quick. If one died it will draw the second one down quick. Save some headaches and replace them both. Good luck

Batteries are new last spring, and have been great for me so far. The charger is a Ranger charger installed by the factory, 2 banks (one hooked to each bank of my 24v system), leads go directly to my battery.

I havent bothered to pull the batteries out from under the deck and check them probably a good next step.

More curious to know if something bad happened to them, and to find out what the deal with my charger is.