• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Mike Guentzel is back

scsavre

I heard the rumors and I just confirmed Guentzel is back with the Gophs and Hill is gone. This is a huge step in the right direction.

It was all rumor, but I was at the draft last night, my good friend was their with Guentlzel and he said he confirmed it. I am still crossing my fingers until the press confirms it.

Oh and Lucia was forced to fire Hill, Guenzel has a 3 year deal and Lucia, well his is a 1 yr deal right now. ..........Also Mario Lucia hasnt signed, I am guessing this is why.

]

Oh and Lucia was forced to fire Hill, Guenzel has a 3 year deal and Lucia, well his is a 1 yr deal right now. ..........Also Mario Lucia hasnt signed, I am guessing this is why.

So Lucia is still there. Atleast for another year. Mario will probably sign with the Gophs then.

This off of Gopher Puck Live

Coaching Staff Shakeup!?!?!

John Hill Out?

Had anyone out there predicted this scenario unfolding?

While no official announcement has been made, several sources, including @hammyhockey and @quickfacts via Twitter have reported a somewhat surprising change on the Gopher hockey staff. It appears as though Coach John Hill will not return for the 2011 – 2012 season, and a familiar face will be back in.

The first piece of this news is not surprising. For at least a couple of seasons now, there have been a lot of rumblings about what effectiveness Coach Hill was having on the team. Due to the theories that there was nobody on staff with any true defensive coaching experience, the team was losing some players early to the pro ranks and even losing out on some higher profile recruits, Coach Hill took the brunt of the blame not directly fired at Lucia.

Mike Guentzel In?

surprise is coming in the return of former Gopher defenseman, captain and (long-time) assistant coach Mike Guentzel.

Rumored to have been let-go by Coach Lucia after the 2007 – 2008 season, most figured the only way Guentzel would have returned was either as a head coach or with a different head coach/staff altogether.

Long known for his loyalty to the ‘M’, Guentzel, of course, the staunch assistant coach from 1994 – 2008 returns to, assumingly, take the reigns of a defense that has struggled in one aspect or another from time to time since he left. Be it puck movement on the power play, or tying up defenders in front of their own net, this is an area that should improve now that Guentzel is back.

There is no immediate word on the future of Coach Hill, or when/if an official announcement is expected to be released. Regardless of the situation, the return of a proven defensive coach will no doubt fuel some excitement amongst Gopher hockey fans over the summer months.

by: Jeff Oftos on Friday, June 24th, 2011 55 comments! | Post your comment

Why would Guentzel come back? He was hung out to dry by Lucia and left under unhappy terms. This will be his 4th job in 4yrs, which might throw up some red flags? If the Gophers continue to struggle will he be fired with the rest of the staff? Usually new head coaches hire their own assistants. Will he get consideration for the head job if it opens up? Head coaching experience has been at Omaha many yrs ago and DesMoines for 1 yr. Definitely an upgrade over Hill.

So reading between the lines, does this mean Lucia is out? Don fired Mike a few years ago. I must be missing something if Guentzel would return to be an assistant under Lucia again. Mike would be a good choice for head coaching successor.

Either way though, good move for Mike and the Gophers.

Not sure what happened a few years back, I am sure people were not happy but maybe things weren't as bad as everyone thinks. Looks like it's official that Hill is out!

http://www.gophersports.com/ViewArticle....TCLID=205176829

Not really sure how all this went down but I am happy, I wonder if Lucia wants to make one more run at a title and then step aside and let Guentzel take over.

Guentzle leaving a few years back wasn't a bitter fire or anything. Actually don't even know if he was fired.

All I know now is we have our defense coach back. The guy who developed leopold, martin, ballard etc. We have our special teams coach back. His deal is 3 years, lucia's is 1. Sounds like if lucia gets fired, guenzle steps right in as assistan or head coach. I do believe lucia and guentzel do get along. Guentzle might have just been a more influential assistan that what don was used to. Don knows he needs help. Its a great move by the gophs.

]Guentzle leaving a few years back wasn't a bitter fire or anything. Actually don't even know if he was fired.

Good point, I really don't know the terms of Mike leaving at that time. I should be a little more careful. But regardless, I think the sun will rise again for this program, and soon.

It was bitter and had nothing to do with his son getting a scholarship. Lucia dumped him in support of Hill. Mike did not have a job and did not want to leave. Some former players went hard after Lucia and getting rid of Hill and bring in Guentzel will buy Don another year or two with the alumni. This could hurt Guentzel in his chance to be the head coach. Probably should have stayed at Des Moines and brought that team back to the top. Would have proved he had what takes turn around a program.

People know guentzle has what I takes. I just like him as an assistant better. He was groomed for the job prior to lucia stepping in.

Guentzles departure made room for mike hastings. Hill had a job when motzko left.

Honestly think it was a little bit of frustration and not seeing eye to eye on things. Lucia has been humbled some and I think he will let guentzl take over a lot of the responsability. Lucia needs to get back to head coaching and let the assistants do their jobs.

. I think it will be just fine. Guentzle may even get one of those associate head coach titles....which means...who knows what. It wasn't that bitter though. Fans and players were the bitter ones.

I think it's unofficially official at this point. Too many people in the know say it's a done deal, the official report of Hill being gone was good enough for me. Happy to have Guentzel back.

Ok its official today. Can't believe my word wanst good enough for u bear. Oh and his title did end up being associate head coach. Good to hear. Sounds like the whole thing was a lucia idea. Not sure I believe that part.