• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Wild/NHL Draft

Bear55

1st Round Friday, June 24th - 6pm on Versus

Rounds 2-7 on Saturday - 10am to 1:30pm

I am no draft expert but I like to keep tabs on things and get a general feel for what is happening, plus drafts are just cool and you can't beat free talent.

Word on the "street" is 2011 is a very deep draft, some even saying it is comparable to the crazy deep 2003 drat but maybe lacking the star power of that draft. Good players can be had 45 to 50 picks deep, which kind of sucks because we don't have a 2nd round pick but maybe that will all change by Saturday. There is also a kind of consensus top 8-9 players who are grouped just ahead of the pack, which sounds about right because the wild pick 10th. Hopefully a top player can drop to us, or maybe we can find that guy picked in the middle of the first round who develops into a stud. I could also see us trading back and trying to pick up a 2nd round pick.

So who would you like the wild to pick up?

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It would be nice if we could pick up Ryan Strome. But, he would need to drop 3 places for that to happen.

If you look at the guys who are ranked in the late1st and 2nd rounds, a lot of them are goal scoring wingers. The downside is that the scouts saw a lack of effort from them. It would be risky to move down to a lower 1st and 2nd in exchange for our high 1st, but the payoff could be good if we got a couple of these types of guys and developed them into real NHL goal scoring wingers...which we are in severe lack of.

I wonder with the plethora of D-man prospects we have, would we consider trading for another second to pick up one of these guys. That is if anyone would do it.

I could see Strome or Murphy maybe falling to us, or maybe we just automatically pick the highest rated Finish player available and be done with it. Armia does look like he has potential but there are lots of other options are out there.

Obviously the Wild will take some Fin who we wont see for 3 years. Or a canadian that everyone else has going in the late 2nd round.

I will be there and I am kinda thinking there might be some booing in the future. I really hope we manicure a Burns trade, but that might get some boos.

I am thinking that philly was unimpressed with the lack of effort in the playoffs this year.

I would have loved to have got Richards, 26 years old and about to have some of his best few seasons. Dang, wish the Wild could have signed him.

From Philly, it sounds like they had lots of confidence in a young set of guys they've got. They went for picks + young talent in what is said to be a deep draft year. They shed a ton of salary and are were able to sign a proven goalie. Sounds like a decent trade to me. This could be a great trade if picks + youngsters pan out.

I was also a little underwhelmed by the first pick but I did a little research on the kids and he sounds solid. Not much for points but a lot of people are saying the Swedish elite league is the 2nd best league in the world next to the nhl and this kid held his own as a scrawny 17 year old. He will need some time and needs to put on some muscle but it sounds like a very safe pick.

Also pretty excited about the Burns trade, don't like to see him go but we got a pretty good return. Setougchi just sign for 3 more years at 3 million a year, put up 30, 21, and 22 goals the past 3 seasons and is only 24 years old. Coyle was a late first rounder last year, he is big and put up decent number at BU as a freshman last year. And we just drafted another solid offensive propect (Philips) at 28 in round one, he put up big numbers, only knock on him is foot speed so I guess it could be a younger version of Bruno.

Suddenly we have a large number of good prospects in the system.

Coyle was also one of the better players for team USA at the world jr's last year. The Burns trade could hurt for a while if he has a few monsters years with the sharks but it could also pay off big for us down the road.

I think Fletcher is doing the right thing. The DR regime left the Wild with no good young talent or draft picks to develop or trade and now they are paying for it. Heck the Burns trade even gives the Wild more cap space as well. Burns was going to command 5+mil in his next contract.

The problem is that in the NHL they draft these guys so young that you don't see most of them for 3-4 years. Hard to make an impact now on the organization when you won't see them at the X for another 3 years.

Wild trade their 3rd and 4th round to move up to the end of the 2nd round and grab Mario Lucia. They must have had him rated higher to make the move, some thought he could end up at the end of the first round. Lucia is not a proven at higher levels as some other guys but he could develop into a player for us.

I am sooooo glad we got rid of Burns. We could not afford to over pay another average player. He scored goals, but he gave up way more then he will ever score. He was a liability. WE have prospects now, and that is what we needed. Sounds like our number 1 pick is very poised and mature. Mans the puck and brings the it up ice on a power play with total control and confidence. Im thinking Paul Martin type, not a ton of points but huge asset offesvly as far as puck control goes.

I like the Lucia deal too, kids got promise, how about Kyle Rau, this kid might turn out to be the stud from MN this year. People had doubted his ability at the next level. He surprised everyone with his play in the USHL. I think he is going to to continue surprising people. I saw the Wild just picked up another america, changes galore.

Awesome move by Fletcher. Burns has 1 year left with a big payout coming. Setagouchi has three years left at 3 million. We got another 1st and a good prospect for Burns and a second. Good move.

I'm not really sure why we chose a defenseman 1st. Maybe it was the best talent available and options for trading down weren't there. Who knows.

I can't wait to see Seta play next to Koivu next season. That could be a great combination. Things are looking up for Minnesota hockey.

Wild also picked up Eden Prairie Defenceman Nick Seeler in the 5th round and another goalie in the 6th. Not that we needed another goalie but it sounds like it was a value pick. I only saw the Seeler kid play in the State Tournament, looks like a good player. He will need a lot of time to develop but Omaha looks like a great place to keep him.

Count me in the camp of being relieved we traded Burnsie too. Guy has some real goal scoring touch, but he's every bit the liability on defense that his offense creates. He wasn't going to sign here again anyway, so at least we got something decent in return. Setuguchi seems like a decent goal scoring talent, but he had some pretty good linemates in San Jose at times too. Time will tell if he can hang on the first line. Has to be better than Mittens though!

Seems like the Wild continue to build for the future. I would say 2-4 years out we should be great. Not seeing a huge turnaround next year though with some of the holes we have.

Wild trading up for Mario, that was good to see. Miller was drafted high, Sioux fans have to be excited about him and Rocco coming into the mix. Welinski from Duluth went in the 3rd, not too shabby. Saw some highlight footage of him playing for Green Bay; he has some touch for a defenseman. WRT to Ambroz, did he fall that far because of his quickness, or what? I am really surprished he wasn't gobbled up in the 3rd at least.

Liked Rocco's quote from Cbrook's link. He's taking his talents to South Beach!

Anything was better then Mittens. Only he can miss an open net every time.

Setagouchi has made a reputation for himself of scoring. He's not Gabby, but he's a definite improvement over mittens. It will be interesting too see if there will be any chemistry between Brunette - Koivu - Setagouchi.

Sounds like we are looking to buy out Barker before July 1st. I can only hope this is true. Anyone know how long we'll have him on the books for if we do buy him out?