• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

NOT a happy beaver!

Ken and I were scouting along the North Shore for the upcoming workshop, and were poking around the Cascade River. When lo and behold I catch out of the corner of my eye a brown furry catapult rolling down the 45-degree bedrock embankment and into the river!

Someone on the trail above had startled said beaver, and down it tumbled into the sharp current of the cascades above the falls.

We spent a few minutes with it, then left so it could find its way back out of the current. I also added a few images from the rest of the day. Photography per se was not our goal, but when you venture out into the great outdoors with cameras, who knows what will happen? gringrin

Please pardon the hot light in some of the images. Many of these amounted to grab shots to document the day, rather than rendering subjects as art. smile

As an aside, I have two favorites among these images. Anyone care to guess which two? smile

full-635-9583-beaver_water.jpg

full-635-9584-bad_hair_grumpy.jpg

full-635-9585-feetweb.jpg

full-635-9586-color.jpg

full-635-9587-ledgeweb.jpg

full-635-9588-horsetails.jpg

full-635-9589-paired.jpg

full-635-9590-sharpweb.jpg

full-635-9591-shovelpoint.jpg

Cameras in hand, but more looking than shooting for sure. If I remember correctly, we located 27 or 28 plant species for the workshop, as well as a couple of MAJOR photo locations along the North Shore. As Steve mentioned, our purpose was scouting, so these are incidental shots that came along.

The beaver was not happy!

WS5.gif

Horsetail maze:

WS1.gif

Steve overlooking and fighting the wind on top of Palisade Head:

WS3.gif

Butterflies "puddling" along a rock wall:

WS4.gif

Pretty flowers:

WS6.gif

And one landscape of the "Shore":

WS2.gif

Please pardon the hot light in some of the images. Many of these amounted to grab shots to document the day, rather than rendering subjects as art.

You are excused. I only have a cell phone camera and do not know what hot light even is, so did enjoy looking at your "subpar" work anyway. Thanks to both of you for sharing the beauty of your area....except Finnbay's shot of Steve's backside. wink

Jackie, bring warm clothing. It's colder by the lake, doncha know! gringrin

Pushbutton, hot light is harsh direct overhead sunlight that casts strong shadows. Can't help that when it happens, because we can't control the weather, but in most cases (with a few exceptions) we photograph nature with a nice light overcast sky to difuse the sunlight, or shoot our photos just after sunrise and before sunset on sunny days, when the light is very warm and mellow.

That being said, when wild things happen right in front of you on a sunny midday, ya gotta take the shots! smile

As an aside, I have two favorites among these images. Anyone care to guess which two? smile

Hot light or not, the pose here appears that someone told this fella (or girl) a good ole "knee slapper".

Woodchuck's chuck wood??? YEAH RIGHT!!!

full-635-9585-feetweb.jpg

Don't know about you Steve but this is my favorite of them all.

full-635-9591-shovelpoint.jpg