• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

River 'eyes - what to look for?

Question -
What kind of structure do river 'eyes take to? The stretch I'm hitting is void of wing dams. May have some rip-rap shoreline, but I'm pretty sure it's mostly undeveloped. Thanks -

------------------
Aquaman
<')}}}}}><{
Peace and Fishes

I have not fished river walleye for a while, but we used to look for bends in the river or holes that were a deeper than the other areas. Both would make for resting/holding areas for walleyes.

MM -
Okay - Let's assume for a minute that you're not just trying to get me to appear plum loco in pure Lil' Abner form, and there is some method to this madness (there is certainly madness to the method) - If i have assumed that there are fish under or around this pile, why don't I just fish it? Okay, returning fish would be more snagless - true. I...I've done some goofy stuff to get fish before - pull a branch through a trout stream with a long rope upstream from me to start a bite, cast at a carp's tail to get the bass I knew were behind it somewhere, and skin-popped a mutilated sucker minnow with cod-liver oil - but I'm drawing the line at flora pouncing. Maybe I'll poke it with my oar, but I'm not trampolangling.

------------------
Aquaman
<')}}}}}><{
Peace and Fishes

Hey Aqua!
Here is a trick I picked up from a riverrat. Go up to a brush pile and shake it up a bit by jumping or whatever upon it. This spooks the fish out. Then have a sandwich or take a break. The fish will start drifting back in after 15-30 minutes or so. You catch them as they come back in. It works.

mm

Seriously!
You fish the brushpile if you can. If you can't without loosing a lure/bait every time you drop down your line, then shake the pile up and scare the little honey's out. It obviously works better on smaller brush piles. The other thing is that your approach will often spook them out anyway. So if you are tied up and quiet you got a shot at them when they come back. Just try it sometime when you're gonna take a break anyway. Have fun!

mm

Thought of one more thing you can try. I got this straight from Al Lindner (on TV). You anchor just upstream of a drop-off into a deep hole. Then you tie on something like a floating rapala (non-diving) with about 18" or so of line tied to a swivel with a heavy enough weight on the other side of the swivel to anchor the Rapala to the bottom. You cast this into the top of the hole and set the rod in a rod holder and wait. This is another good taking a break method. The current will provide all the action to the lure. The rapala just looks like a minnow holding steady in the stream. Try it sport.

[This message has been edited by mistermom (edited 06-05-2003).]

So you think Aquaman and Walleye GFA are losers? Well let me tell you the story of another loser......

We are team carpsnagger and if we have to jump up and down on brushpiles to catch fish....Well, we're gonna jump up and down on brushpiles. WHO'S WITH ME? LETS GO!!!!

mm

quote:

MM -

Okay - Let's assume for a minute that you're not just trying to get me to appear plum loco in pure Lil' Abner form, and there is some method to this madness (there is certainly madness to the method) - If i have assumed that there are fish under or around this pile, why don't I just fish it? Okay, returning fish would be more snagless - true. I...I've done some goofy stuff to get fish before - pull a branch through a trout stream with a long rope upstream from me to start a bite, cast at a carp's tail to get the bass I knew were behind it somewhere, and skin-popped a mutilated sucker minnow with cod-liver oil - but I'm drawing the line at flora pouncing. Maybe I'll poke it with my oar, but I'm not trampolangling.

I just had to add my 2 cents and say that this paragraph is one of the funniest things I have ever read.

[This message has been edited by Consultant (edited 06-05-2003).]

Whatever it takes buddy !!!!!

If dying my "johnson" purple and hanging it over the edge (yea its that big) would work, thats what I would do !!!!!

Wally

Charter member, Fishaholics Anonymous

(Careful Walleye_GFA

[This message has been edited by Jim W (edited 06-06-2003).]