• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

A mole trap that works please help!

DRH1175

I have quite the mole problem this year. They are ruining my landscaping and lawn. I have 2 of the spear traps and they are worthless. I have had them go of 5 times in the last 2 weeks and no moles! I followed the directions to the box. Matter of fact I have only killed 1 mole in the last 3 years. Anyone know of a trap that actually works? I will not use poison cause I don't want my dogs diggin up dead moles and eating them. And the Caster oil repelents do nothing.

I have used another mole trape with good results. It has 2 sets of claws or arms with a trip pan between them. I forget the name or where I picked them up.

I ;have to locate the main tunnel and it works best if I dig down to it- align the trap with the tunnel and cover it back up with loose soil.

I find that most of the time the main tunnels are deeper than the spikes will get them with any succsess - or the loop type trap for that matter.

good Luck

Steve

I listen to Scott Craven, Wildlife Biologist, the 1st Wednesday of every month on Wisconsin Public Radio. I really get a kick out of him and he knows his stuff. Many of the calls deal with nuisance wildlife: bats, squirrels, rabbit, etc. and he also receives calls about moles. He maintains that the best mole trap, bar none, is to place a rat trap baited with bacon/bacon grease in an active tunnel and you will get your mole--except the dogs might beat them to it. He says moles cannot resist bacon--sort of like the rest of us.

I think what sorgy is talkin about is the victor out o site mole traps from the depot, I have used them with really good luck as well. But it usally takes a few tries to get them set just right. I hired a guy to get mine a few years ago and that is what kind of traps he uses. I since bought my own and trap them myself.

If the tunnels are on the surface of your lawn and are easy to see where they are, I have had very good luck with the Choker Loop trap. They are available at Feed Stores around your area. They do sit on top of the ground, so if you have kids or animals you might want to try something else.

My folks have always used the loop-type traps in their yard, to great effect. When set, the trap is basically flush with the ground, when it trips, the loops choke/ crush the mole against the body of the trap.

You just stomp down a section of an active run, and stick the trap in there. When the mole comes by on a maintenance run, it gets trapped (ideally). One upside is that there's not spikes to get the kids. Obviously not a child-safe device anyway, but it will avoid an accidental sticking if the trap is not set.

Google "The Mole Trap"

A friend turned me onto these when my yard was getting torn up.

They are a little pricey but they work.

It is amazing how much damage just 1 mole can do.

Flatten out the old mole runs and wait for a fresh one to show up.

Find the main straight run, flatten out around a foot of it and set the mole trap in the flattened area.

On a fresh run it is almost a guaranteed catch.

It actually turned into another kind of hunting for me.

I think it is a good idea to put out at least 2 at a time.

In 2 months I caught 10 of the rodents.

Now I just get 1 here and there.

These things do work.