• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

building rods

Fishgun,
First of all you should spend some time really thinking about what species of fish your gonna use the rod for and what type of fishing applications. I've built several rods, and it's really a rewarding hobby. Cabela's publishes a catalog with nothing but materials for rod building and tackle. It can be cheap, or about as expensive as you want to make it. Depends a lot on the brand of rod blank you decide to use, and the quality of the hardware that you put on it.
I'd start with pretty cheap stuff at first, and spend some time researching techniques for guide wraps. It's kinda tricky business, but once you master it you'll love it. You're not gonna save a lot of money doing this cause you'll spend quite a bit of time with each outfit, and the materials start to add up. Once your good at it though you can start makin' a bunch at a time and sell em' or give em' as gifts. I've wrapped my name into a couple poles.
Good luck! Have fun.

I've been building custom Ice Rods for about 3 years now. and if you really want to get alot of good information go here: http://www.rod-building.org/list.php?f=2

This site will tell you anything you want to know, and all you have to do is remember that to these guys, an Ice Rod is just a short normal rod.

PO

Hey Fishgun -
According to your profile, you're close to a good supplier of rod blanks - Wild River Distributing at Marine on St. Croix.

I think they may carry other rod building supplies also. You can check them out by calling 651-433-2217.

I'm not much of a craftsman, but I have made a couple rods and they actually turned out quite well. There are some guys that frequent this HSOforum that can help you out too with specific advice.

Wild River doesnt have much for ice rods that I know of, I have built them before, just some cheap fiberglass rods. I may be wrong, they might carry better stuff. I also know they carry St. Croix SCII blanks which are a great rods that are not wallet busters. If you need rod building supplies you should get your hands on one of their catalogs.

If your in Rochester, please stop by Hooked On Fishing. We carry a large inventory of blanks and rod building supplies with very competitive prices.

Good Fishing,
Mike

------------------
Hooked on Fishing Bait & Tackle
The Place For Info
5510 HWY. 63 North
Rochester, MN 55901
Phone: (507) 282-4982
HookedOnFishingTackle.com

I've had lots of success with "Wild River". I hven't used them in a couple years, but they were great to work with. They have a huge selection of 2nd's. Most, I believe, are "St. Croix". If you talk nice they will let you browse through their stuff in the back. Tell them your just starting out and they'll take care of you! You can find any size blank you want. Cut off a long blank and make it a ice rod. The hobby is very rewarding.