• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Thinking about repowering...

Chode2235

I am thinking of repowering my boat. Not urgently, or for another couple years, but I wanted to get your thoughts on the matter.

I have a 2005 Ranger Reata 1850, with a Yamaha 150 2-stroke carbed motor. My boat max hp is 175/ I love the boat, and don't ever see myself getting a different boat, unless it is a new/improved version. It is a nearly perfect boat for my needs. Love it.

I am actually a pretty big fan of the motor too. Although it starts up pretty cold, it is reliable and easy to maintain. Runns pretty quiet and not too smokey for a 2 stroke. I think it is one of the last 2 stroke carbed motors sold stateside, and these motors have a great reputation for being bullet proof and easy to maintain.

I would like to get something that is quieter, more fuel efficient, cleaner (my motor doesn't even meet the 1 star CARB rating), and that is trouble free and reliable.

Am I crazy for even thinking about upgrading a mechanically great motor?

Is there any trade in value?

Where can one find prices on new or used?

Are there advantages in sticking with Yamaha, do I hold out for the 150/175 SHO?

Suzuki 150/175?

Optimax/Etec?

Also, I don't have a kicker or pull a lot of plugs but would these big motors troll down for occasional use in trolling at 2-4 mph?

Beyond the motor, what other expenses will I need to be aware of? Rigging?

More curious than anything and want to hear the pros and cons of repowering. I know it isn't economically prudent to do, but my boat is near perfect beyond my slight dissatisfaction with the motor.

Your best option would probably be to repower with the f150 4 stroke Yamaha. If you want something quiet and trolls down to low speeds this will be your best option. Also since you already have it rigged with a Yamaha it will be cheaper to rig. I dont think you will see a 150-175 sho for another year or so and quite possibly never. The Optimax/Etec/Vmax are good options since you could get a 175 in any of these, they all get good gas mileage but they wont be much if any quieter than what you have.

In my opinion I would stick with what you got.

Are 4-strokes really more fuel efficient? They might be more oil efficient but boats get bad mileage, period. I don't think you'll see much of a gain, at least not anything worth the price you'll pay on the swap.

Larson15 alluded to it, but your steering controls and everything are already set up for Yamaha so it wouldn't make a ton of sense to go to a different brand unless your current brand sucked. The top manufacturers all make great products these days.

If you're dead-set on getting a four stroke then you might look at the difference between swapping motors and just upgrading boats. You might find the cost negligible (doubtful) or close (possibly).

Lastly, savor the 2-stroke. I actually miss the smell of 2-stroke exhaust. Call me crazy but I get a little nostalgic when one goes by. I think that I have 2-stroke envy. grin

Quote:
Are 4-strokes really more fuel efficient?

Oh yeah. My brother-in-law has a Lund 17' Mr. Pike with a 115hp Yamaha 4-stroke. I have a Sylvan 16' Adventurer with 90hp Johnson 2-stroke. This past weekend we were up on Vermilion. He had four in his boat all weekend and I had three guys in mine. We stayed together for most of the weekend so our distance traveled on the water was very much the same. I used almost 15 gallons of fuel over the weekend and he used maybe 10. Every year we go on a week-long trip to Canada and I've noticed the same results.

My motor is a 1998 model and I've been considering upgrading my motor to a newer one simply because of its age and other reasons including the economy. I realize upgrading for economy alone is not practical but I also like the idea of lower emissions and newer motor. The one I have runs so well that I am having a hard time making my decision though. I'm considering either an Evinrude E-tech 2-storke or Yamaha 4-stroke.

Oh yeah. My brother-in-law has a Lund 17' Mr. Pike with a 115hp Yamaha 4-stroke. I have a Sylvan 16' Adventurer with 90hp Johnson 2-stroke. This past weekend we were up on Vermilion. He had four in his boat all weekend and I had three guys in mine. We stayed together for most of the weekend so our distance traveled on the water was very much the same. I used almost 15 gallons of fuel over the weekend and he used maybe 10. Every year we go on a week-long trip to Canada and I've noticed the same results.

My motor is a 1998 model and I've been considering upgrading my motor to a newer one simply because of its age and other reasons including the economy. I realize upgrading for economy alone is not practical but I also like the idea of lower emissions and newer motor. The one I have runs so well that I am having a hard time making my decision though. I'm considering either an Evinrude E-tech 2-storke or Yamaha 4-stroke.

I think I am in the same position as you are. The only thing is that my carbed 150 2 stroke burns a lot more gas than a comparable 4 stroke. The numbers I have seen are between 30-50%. It is less at WOT, but I try to only run around between 3-4k RPM.

In 3.5 days on Lake of the Woods, generally the same amount of running around, my 19' glass bass boat with a 1996 150 Mercury EFI went through 54 gallons of gas and my buddy's boat, an 18' Alumacraft with a 150 Honda 4-stroke went through 42 gallons or something like that. At $4/gallon, that's a difference of $48 for 3.5 days, or $4.50 per guy per day with 3 guys in the boat. It would take a long time to recover the cost of a new motor through gas savings. The noise difference, well, that's the main difference. That and not having to buy oil all the time.

The modern 2 strokes are just as fuel efficient as 4 strokes. The optimax is probably the most fuel efficient 2 stroke on the market and has close to the same fuel economy of any 4 stroke on the market.

We should be clear that the DIRECT INJECTED 2-strokes are equally fuel efficient as the 4-strokes.

I doubt EFI or carbed two-strokes get the same efficiency.

Yeah, for clarification I have an old school carbed 2 stroke, so I get BAD mileage relatively speaking.

Chode2235,

I have the Tyee 186 GL, so a similar boat, with a 175 verado and smart craft gauges. I get good fuel efficiency and good power. I don't know that I would be happy with a 150 on my boat. But being use to the 150, you may not miss the little extra. the smart craft gauges let me control the RPMs to troll rather slow. It all depends on wind, etc but I can get to 2mph if I remember correctly. I don't use it much as I typically run my bowmount and don't pull many cranks. It's also super quiet and doesn't stink. My buddy has the 2008 150 etec on a 185 alumacraft trophy. Its a nice motor, good hole shot and simple to winterize, but it still stinks like a 2 stroke. but it's not that loud either.

If I didn't get a verado, I was going to get the suzuki.

Hope this helps.